Windows 7 RegEdit Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

NalonTrebor

Beta member
Hi, a couple of months back i deleted the isShorcut option in the RegEdit, to take off the shortcut icon on the icons on my desktop, and it took away the Pin to taskbar option because of a glitch with windows 7, so then i tried getting it back, and went to Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\inifile and accidentally delete the FriendlyTypeName value data and changed it to .Ink and clicked enter, and now when i click on a programme to open just say IE8 a message comes up saying "windows can't open this file: File: Internet Explorer.Ink .... What do you want to do? Use the Web service to find the correct program". So i was wondering how to i get back that origional data value? i would prefer not to system restore. Thank you for you post's in advance.

Sorry but messing with the Registry is a tricky task at best. Since you dont know and didnt make a backup of the original values, your only option will be a restore. Always backup the entries first before making changes so that you have a way to undo them.

So my situation is going to seem 10x more pathetic

In some misguided attempt at removing malware, I accidentally deleted friendlytypename as a whole, not recognizing it's importance. Bear with me, I'm usually on a mac and I use my computer for web browsing and making 3-D models and animations, and even though I'd like to learn about programming and how an operating system works, I know very little about the subject and have never edited registry before today. So the situation is: I can't run .exe files, so I either need to replace friendlytypename(which I get the feeling is not going to happen) or somehow perform recovery without being able to run an .exe. If this doesn't work, will I have to wipe the hard drive and re-install windows 7? Is there any solution to this at all.

Thank you for reading and please reply.

Sadly there isnt going to be a way to get that Registry file back if you didnt make a backup first. The only thing you can try is:

Start>Run>sfc /scannow

If that doesnt fix the issue then you will have to do a reinstall. As there is no real way to get that entry back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom