Windows 7 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the help guys.

It looks like the compatability mode in home premium will be fine for me and my games......I will use the extra $40 to buy Just Cause 2 :big_grin:

Looking forward to having Direct x 10.

I thought they made it so you could use XP Mode in Home Premium now, and without hardware virtualization? Or was that just from Ultimate only to include Pro as well?

You are right carnage. XP Mode is unlock to be used on any system without hardware virtualization.

Unless they've made some major changes, XP mode isn't suitable for gaming, just like no virtual machine is suitable for gaming.

They made XP mode for businesses who were afraid to upgrade. It's for office software, not gaming.

Forrest - while that is normaly the case with more modern games I would like to point out that older games can and do run just fine inside a virtulised environment, I myself have had games running such as fallout 1/2 right the way upto doom 3 running inside a VM admittedly the performance was pritty crappy for doom 3 i did it just for a experiment to see if it could be done.

The point being, if Compatibility Mode doesnt work, you shouldnt look to XP Mode. I will tell you right now that it wont solve your issues. It is a basic VM setup with generic Intel Video drivers and NO way to change the screen resolution or any other options like colors or anything.

So if you need to have a specific screen size and color, you are not going to get it with XP Mode. You should try something like DOSBox or any other method. Maybe even just bit the bullet and dual boot.

vmware has beta direct3D support. That's about the best you can do right now with a virtual machine, and it's pretty pitiful. It's also a huge pain to get the vmware tools to work in the free vmplayer.

Like Mak said, if it doesn't work in 7, either dual boot, or move on.

But like Saxon was saying, non-3D intensive games should somewhat work in a virtual machine as long as you have a fairly modern computer.

Some games dont work even with Compatibility Mode. Starcraft i can tell you right now is one. Compatibility Mode nor XP Mode work with that game at all. You need to do a hack to get that game working in Win7 at all.

Some games dont work even with Compatibility Mode. Starcraft i can tell you right now is one. Compatibility Mode nor XP Mode work with that game at all. You need to do a hack to get that game working in Win7 at all.

That game won't bother me any, as I don't play it....that is nice to know however, as my son plays it alot, so that is probly good enough reason for him to stay with xp.......thanks for that info :big_smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom