Windows 7 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spit-wad

Bake a Pretty Cake!
Hallo

Installed Windows 7 (Pro, 32-bit)

Don't like the taskbar preview (hovering over something in the taskbar and having a small square pop-up showing what it is)

Went to run -> gpedit.msc -> administrative tools -> start menu and taskbar
Enabled "turn off taskbar thumbnails", restarted, and nothing changed

I tried another setting in local policy and it didn't work either - is there something I need to unlock here?

Right click on the Start button and click on Properties, or right click on any empty space on the Taskbar and click on Properties.
Go to the Taskbar tab.
To turn on Desktop Preview (which is also the default setting), check and tick the Use Desktop Preview checkbox.
To Turn Off Desktop Preview, uncheck and untick the Use Desktop Preview check box.
Click on OK.

I had seen those instructions somewhere else, too... but I dont have a "Use Desktop Preview" checkbox in the Taskbar tab of those Properties...

I think "taskbar preview" is the right term for what I'm trying to get rid of, but I guess it couldn't hurt to clarify - it's the thing where you hover over an item in the taskbar (such as an open firefox window) and it pops up a little box showing what it looks like.

I already have aero-peek turned off.

I also did the gpedit.msc thing already.

so... still not working

I did not try the registry method yet - I'll probably try it tomorrow.

So far I have to admit I'm a bit frustrated with Windows 7. There are obviously settings to turn this off, but they don't work. Also clicking on an item in the taskbar usually minimizes/maximizes it, but once in a while when I click it, it doesn't minimize. :(

The taskbar preview is useless for me as well. Most of the online guides work for the W7 betas or release candidates but no longer seem to work for the RTM. I've only had success with one work-around so far -- that's changing the hover delay to long enough that it's basically off. I used the guide found here to do that. The DWORD's value is in milliseconds, so a value of 4000+ worked for me. Still looking for a permanent solution if there is one, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom