Windows 7 Professional freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny_b_good06

Beta member
When using Microsoft Office 2007 programs, current version of IE, current version of Firefox and QuickBooks Pro 2010 - usally with only one or two of the above open at the same time, I get a revolving blue circle which lasts for minutes. Eventually the program will complete the task. If I decide to close a program or try to switch between open programs, the screen fades and will not transfer me between open programs Is this a problem with 7 Pro? I have 500 GB of memory as well as significant RAM. The computer is now a year old Gateway DX4300 sold through Best Buy. The Geek Squad tried to work on it during warranty and re-loaded the Windows 7 upgrade from the 7 Premium on the PC when purchased.. Going back to QuickBooks is now out of the question without a fee on a re-laod as the program is a year old if I reload the software. The Geek tech said everything is working and the processor is doing its thing as it should.

I am wondering if this is a problem started by having Office 2007 (2010 was not out when I purchased the Office program), a problem with 7 Pro or a problem with the gateway. The ratings in various forum are mixed on what people are experiencing.

You do not have 500GB of memory...

What file are you opening? What would a *.doc file have to do with FF or IE9? A document only opens in one place, AFAIK.

Well if you have 500 MB of ram that's your issue, running windows 7, probably running the glass interface and multiple programs will slow your system down to a halt and probably crash applications.

Have you tried increasing the page file size?

Most windows 7 OS's except windows 7 ultimate 32bit, will take a minimum of 1gb of ram to run.

If you tried running it on 512mb of ram windows 7, should not let you pass the installation procedure to install the OS.

I am sure you mistyped 500GB as paging file for the hdd correct ?
Don't ever give it all that space, only assign it a minium of it what it tells you which is usually under 2000mb.
Look at your ram then and slightly adjust it accordingly, but really I see no reason for you to need the paging file, not unless your running out of disk space or ram memory...

Weirder things have happened, Mike. I was able to get 7 Ultimate x64 on an Atom board with 1GB RAM. :p

But yes, you need more RAM.

He doesnt have under a Gig of RAM. From a search of that Gateway system it looks like it was configured to have 8GB of RAM. So that is not the issue. It also isnt an issue with Office 2007 either. I still have at least 8 different machines i know of that still operate with that version just fine.

So there has to be something else using up your CPU cycles like and infection.

This is a pretty weird issue. The only other thing I can think of that hasn't been suggested yet is to just make little changes to your power settings, etc. MS has a page with these tips on it that's worth checking out: Ways to improve your computer's performance

Granted they are minute changes, but sometimes they help.

-- Ryan
Windows Outreach Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom