Windows 7 PC restarts instead of shutting down

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattl148

Baseband Member
Have a problem that randomly just popped up. When going to shut down my PC, all the applications close fine, the PC then shuts down and about 2-3 seconds later it turns back on with the fan blasting, beeps, and starts up windows. The only way I can properly shut down is to pull the plug or do a hard shut down.

specs on my pc are as follows:

Dell Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
4 GB memory
GeForce GTX 460
Windows 7 basic

What method are you using to shut down the PC? Are you doing it via the Start menu, or are you pressing the case's power button? If it's the latter then perhaps your power button is mapped to Restart instead of Shut Down.

Thanks for the reply. I typically use start menu --> shutdown, however, that and power button shut down still result in the PC restarting.

I had an older rig do that a couple years back. as I remember clearing the cmos solved the issue.

I have the same problem, although sometimes mine gets stuck in an infinite boot loop, not even going to the OS. It's a motherboard issue, not OS. Like Thomas said ^, clearing the CMOS usually solves the issue.

Okay update:

I formatted my hard drive, didn't help.

I THINK I cleared CMOS by way of activating the "Load Defaults" option in the setup screen, didn't help.

Unplugged all USB devices from the computer and tried to shut down, didn't help.

No idea what to do now, definitely looks to be hardware related.

Okay update:

I formatted my hard drive, didn't help.

I THINK I cleared CMOS by way of activating the "Load Defaults" option in the setup screen, didn't help.

Unplugged all USB devices from the computer and tried to shut down, didn't help.

No idea what to do now, definitely looks to be hardware related.

To clear the cmos you need to unplug the pc, discharge any power in the supply by pushing the power button, then remove the cmos battery and insert it upside down count to ten then replace it correctly and plug in the pc. Now restart the pc and see if it is fixed.

To clear the cmos you need to unplug the pc, discharge any power in the supply by pushing the power button, then remove the cmos battery and insert it upside down count to ten then replace it correctly and plug in the pc. Now restart the pc and see if it is fixed.

I would advise against putting any battery in the wrong way in anything. It's better to just remove the battery completely, or like the OP already did, use the jumpers to clear the CMOS.

Yea I get what your saying just different approaches to the same thing I guess. Since the back side of the battery is flat it closes the circuit just like moving the jumper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom