Windows 7 naming question

Status
Not open for further replies.

fairfieldfalconsfan

In Runtime
I was thinking about it the other day and was wondering if any one knew why they called it Windows 7. I thought it might be because it was the seventh version of windows maybe?

1.Windows 95
2.Windows 98
3.Windows ME
4.Windows 2000
5.Windows XP
6.Windows Vista
7.Windows 7

or maybe 3.1 would count and ME and 2000 would be combined???

If anyone has insight on this theory or why they named it 7 let me know. Thanks!

It is called Windows 7 cause they are going back to the number scheme instead of names that they have been using. They used names for the longest time and now are only getting back to the basics and using names again.

It was thought that it was cause it was the 7th version, but that isnt completely true. Win2000 doesnt really count. It was a NT based OS and was geared more toward servers and workstations than home use. Even though many people used it at home, it really wasnt meant for that. The other myth out there is that they names it after the kernel. While this is true to a point, the truth is the fact that the same kernel that is used in Win7 is also the same kernel used in Vista post SP1. Version 6.1. So while it is technically the 7th iteration of the kernel, it was in use long before Win7 hit the market.

It is basically the 7th home based OS released.

Windows 3.1
Windows 95
Windows 98
Windows ME
Windows XP
Windows Vista
Windows 7

Windows 3.1 counts over 2000 for the fact that it was released and used by more home users than Win2000 at its time. There was also Windows 3.11 for Workgroups which was basically like a SP for that version but they didnt call it that back then. Just like there was Win95A and Win95B as well as Win98A and Win98 Second Edition. It wasnt until XP that there was a true SP released for home based versions of Windows even though the NT line (Win2000 and prior) were using SP's back then.

But even Win3.1 doesnt fully count for the fact that PC's were not common in homes back then. They were thousands of dollars and also complicated to build. You got a box of parts and had to read blueprints and build everything yourself. It wasnt till the release of Win95 that you say the types of machines that are around today. Before that they were semi preassembled, but i remember building my first PC and it was basically a box with a bunch of parts and i had to read the blueprints to put it together diode by diode, transistor by transistor and so on. It wasnt like buying a part today.

So there you have it. The story of the name. Microsoft has a strange way of doing names and that. The Beta for XP was called Whistler. Vista was called Longhorn. Win7 was originally called Blackcomb but they changed it long before the OS was in Beta stages. Win 95 was Chicago.

List of Microsoft codenames - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is a full list of the codenames of the Beta and the final names. They are getting out of this proper name and going with numbers cause it makes life easier on all who try to do the support.

Thanks for the info Mak. I didn't know a lot of that stuff. My dad had a 3.1 machine that is currently in a shoebox in my closet(minus case that is being used to set a monitor on).

Do you have any idea what the next version will be called? Maybe "8"?;)

@Fair - Yes it will be Windows 8

@Paton - True. But the truth is at this time there is not much difference between those leaked internal builds and Win7 right now. It isnt until Win8 actually hits the Beta stage that you will see the new additions and other things. So right now if you even attempt to get one of these leaked internal builds, you just get a buggy version of Win7.

@MoM - Yes you will see this present in the other topic here:

Release Cycle of Windows

Where i not only give names but dates.

The people i've seen have got it legally through their companies, so not sure which version it'd be.

The only people who would even remotely have a chance to have Win8 at this time, Employees at Microsoft. Win8 is only in internal testing right now. There is no Beta or Milestone builds out to anyone. So either they have hacked up their Win7 to read Win8 or they got one of the leaked internal builds. Microsoft hasnt released any code or anything for Win8 yet. This is per several people within the Company itself.

Yes, it was always in chronological order except for the earlier Win 3.1.; it was one of the first OSs besides the MAC to have a GUI. Didn't they have 4.1 also?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom