Windows 7 issue carried over to windows 8 explorer.exe hangs on click

saltynay

Patron
Hey guys its been a long time.

PC: ASUS UX31
Current OS: Windows 8 pro
Old OS: Windows 7 Home
Antivirus: Microsoft security essentials on Win7 and Win8 avg free

My windows 7 screwed up 6 months ago and can't remember what i was doing beforehand but no major changes (driver installs ect.). explorer.exe would hang on extended usage. Quick fix was to put the pc into high performance mode and the 5 seconds to find the file bumped upto 20 seconds. I therefore expect its a resource allocation issue and as I was moving to win 8 just let it be and used search to find files.

Yesterday I finally got around to moving to Windows 8 using the upgrade utility and online download. Now explorer.exe hangs pretty much after the first click in its interface.

All other functions are fine across all other programs I can save, open, search etc. but copy and paste will stop if explorer hangs (closing the folder and leaving the copy to its own little moving box would prevent the hang in win 7) . The issue is not linked to right click its any click in the explorer will cause it to hang and restart. It also occurs if i use arrow keys and key shortcuts to navigate.

Google'd the issue for 30 minutes and found this fix:
FIX: The Explorer.exe process stops responding (hangs) when you use Windows Explorer that hosts a shell extension that was created by using MFC <--- which did nothing.

I am doing uni exams at the moment so plan to crack on with this tomorrow. Revising without an explorer for folders is great fun :(.

Possibly explorer went bad? Had you tried to do a repair or clean install of windows 7 or 8 yet?

Maybe first try letting it index all the files on the hdd, if it is only slow/crashing when you are searching...?

This is the exact reason why an upgrade is not suggested on systems that are not functioning properly. It only upgrades the files that need or have been changed. You will not find any answer to it other than to start over, fresh.

Upgrading an already compromised system will not give you a fully functional system. It will give you an upgraded compromised system.

Search is fine so all files are indexed and functional, thats how I am currently finding all my documents and files when I need them. Is the windows 8 upgrade registered to the original windows 7 user key as when people upgraded from vista to 7?

Back
Top Bottom