Windows 7 installation issues

edwardparkes

Solid State Member
Hello,

Before I start I would like to say I have been all over Google but cant find anything on that.

Basically I have recently bought a small desktop computer which came pre loaded with just "Free DOS" which made it a lot cheaper, so I thought I stick Windows 7 on it when it arrived.

Upon booting from USB it goes through the normal phase of "Windows is loading files" then it comes to the assembly of the Microsoft logo which it does not finish it just displays the attached BSOD.

Now trying to install it with the disc is an odd issue as when you press F12 to get to the boot manager it takes about 10 mins to give me the option to select the disc drive, upon doing this nothing happens and it just loads DOS that was preloaded now, looking on the website where I bought it from it does say Windows 7 drivers available, so I would assume Windows 7 would work. Further more is cant be a disc drive issue as trying to boot Ubuntu works instantly with no issues.

An even stranger issue, I made my Windows 8 USB bootable and it sailed through this with no problems what so ever, however I do not wish to use Windows 8 as mine is not genuine however my copy of 7 is.

Now I have tried all different options in the BIOS and set back to default each time I have tried a setting and it has not worked I have tried all combinations but it still will not work. I also tried installing Windows 7 within Windows 8 but halfway through the installation of 7 it displays the same BSOD. Finally I considered doing a BIOS update but went against this idea upon the computer build date only being a couple of months ago also I do not want it to go wrong and me not able to return the PC should the BIOS update go wrong.

Can anyone shed any light on this situation and help me out? It would be much appreciated.

Thank you for reading

Regards

Eddy

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Thank you for your quick response, I will try this when I finish work. I think I tried enabling and disabling it, the other option says something along the lines of IDE. Apart from losing power is there any other associated risk with doing a BIOS update?

Thanks

Regards

Eddy

Thank you for your quick response, I will try this when I finish work. I think I tried enabling and disabling it, the other option says something along the lines of IDE. Apart from losing power is there any other associated risk with doing a BIOS update?

Thanks

Regards

Eddy

Not really. Sometimes you have to be within Windows to update the BIOS, other motherboards give you the option of doing it from a bootdisk, from within BIOS, or from within Windows.

Sometimes you have to be within Windows to update the BIOS
Our Dell systems supposedly can only update in Windows (they only give you a prepared .exe file to download). But they say that the update works in MS-DOS, so I made a modified WinPE usb drive. Luckily, it ran it just fine from a command prompt.

Had to go that route when something was effed in the system that prevented "multiple drives" from booting into Windows shortly after a clean installation.

Thank you everyone for your help, I will give it a shot tomorrow as I have just arrived home, I can do this BIOS update within Windows 8 luckily. Finally does anyone know why a bootable version of 8 will work but not 7?

Thanks again

Regards

Eddy

Seeing as your installing your windows 7 from a usb drive, it's possible the the Windows 7 installer could be corrupted, and it's not installing the ACPI driver

Back
Top Bottom