Windows 7 Image

Status
Not open for further replies.

donvito

Beta member
I'm in the process of building a new image for Desktop and laptops. We are a dell house and the new system will be Op[tiplex 760 and E6500.

The issue is I know we can't image useing ghost any longer has any one found anything other than Ubuntu and FOG. the use.

Your looking to do an OEM production of Win 7 for your machines with 1 master disc? you can use Ultra ISO.. if 'im on the right track..

or maybe you're looking for a HardDrive imager.

You do realize that Windows 7 has this built in now as well right? You can create a image in a VHD format and restore it from that format as well. Just can have the image stored on the same drive as the system drive. Can only store it on a network device when you use Ultimate or Enterprise.

I don't mean to spout off my irrelevant opinion here, but I can't help but wonder... with a free and stable option as robust as FOG for imaging, why would you even "want" to look elsewhere?

Are you mass deploying, or just doing a single backup?

It is a simple answer really. Not everyone is comfortable using Linux or Linux based applications on their Windows machines.

I mean how comfortable would you be using Office by Microsoft in Ubuntu? Some people are happy using products that are made and designed directly for the platform they use.

It is a simple answer really. Not everyone is comfortable using Linux or Linux based applications on their Windows machines.

I mean how comfortable would you be using Office by Microsoft in Ubuntu? Some people are happy using products that are made and designed directly for the platform they use.

Linux based applications? Now, come on. If you're looking into imaging a computer, I'm sure you've used Firefox a time or two.

You don't need to be a Linux guru to run FOG. If you can install Windows, you can install Ubuntu. Once done, FOG's documentation has step by step instructions on how to install it. Beyond that, the FOG gui works right off of Firefox to manage the imaging process.

I can understand the hesitation if there were a lot of advanced settings that need to be done on a foreign platform, but that's not the case here. Things are pretty much laid out, which kind of nullifies the "but I don't know Linux" view.

I don't mean to push these applications on people, but coming from somebody who's done enough imaging to make me puke something rancid, you really can't go wrong with these apps.

Now you took what i said in the totally wrong context. Using a Browser compared to imaging software is 2 totally different things. Firefox is Open Source but the development of it was hand in hand for both Linux and Windows.

FOG is a application that is totally Linux based using its kernel and adapted to run for Windows. People dont care if you dont have to be a Linux Guru to run it or not. Simple fact, it is NOT a Windows based program is enough to scare them away.

You negated to answer my question about running Office by Microsoft in Ubuntu.

Simple fact, it is not a windows based application. It is not designed with Windows specifically in mind and it is not created for the Windows user by a Windows user. It doesnt have to be complicated, it doesnt have to be overly hard to use. People still will not use it for that fact.

How many people that buy PC's right from Wamart or Dell know of or even understand what Linux is? How many people who only want email, internet and some basic games know or understand what Linux is?

Telling me is one thing. Telling someone like my sister who barely knows how to turn on a PC who doesnt know how to operate firefox is a different story. My question simply would by why rely on a 3rd party solution when 1 is built right in? Why should i even go with FOG when it is built right into Windows now? Who cares about simplicity. It is a 3 click process.

People are scared of things they dont know. They are scared of Linux cause it is NOT windows. That is my point. Forget going in depth about what it can or cant do. Forget about how easy or hard it is. IT IS NOT WINDOWS. People know windows and dont care to know anything else. They are afraid to try something else out even when given all the proper documentation. They want their hand held.

I don't understand your point behind "running Office by Microsoft in Ubuntu." FOG may be a Linux application, but it is designed for Windows imaging. Not for Linux imaging, for WINDOWS imaging. Although it supports other platforms too by imaging with DD, it's geared specifically for and around Windows. The built in features, snap-ins, auto-resizeable partitioning with images - all Windows-only features of FOG.

But you also have to take a look at the user involved here. I understand that the basic user may not know anything about Linux. I get it. I understand it. Got it. But out of those basic users, how many would even KNOW what imaging is, let alone actually want to do some sort of image deployment with many systems?

Simple case and point: If you're adept enough in computer usage to be doing image deployment on multiple systems, you're definitely a computer user who can figure things out.

Not to get off topic here, but here's a fun clip to show that Linux can be user-friendly enough that people don't even know they're using Linux. YouTube - is it windows 7 or kde 4 ?

Getting back on topic... If you get Acronis and you haven't used it before, you'll have to get to know the GUI. If you get Ghost and you haven't used it before, you'll have to get to know the GUI. If you get (wait for it...) FOG, you'll have to get to know the GUI as well.

With all of that being said, my point remains:

If you can install Windows, you can install Ubuntu.
If you can install Ubuntu, I'll bet my car you can follow the outlined documentation on how to install FOG.

If you haven't used Acronis, Ghost, or FOG before, you're in the same boat with any option on the table that you take. If you HAVE used Ghost or Acronis, naturally those applications will have the upper hand since they're familiar to the user's eyes. If the user has not used any of these programs, then they're in the same boat with Ghost as they are Acronis as they are FOG. Even playing field there.

The bottom line is this. The user needs to image Windows 7. He needs to get the job done. Can Ghost support Windows 7, right now, today, on this evening of Monday November 2nd? If memory serves me from another thread - No. It cannot. Can FOG? Yes. There's a tool out there free to grab that can get the job done - now.

My apologies for pushing on a program that I know will do what he needs with flying colors. This is a support forum, and I am responding with a completely legit option that, in my opinion, is a **** good one to take. If not, that's entirely their choice and they can get the job done by other means.

More standard users know what imaging is than know what Linux is due to prograqms like ghost and Acronis. Those simple 1 step imaging processes.

Showing a clip of a non-linux user using linux means nothing. Sorry to be mean but it doesnt show anything. I can show you a clip of a 90 year old man using Windows who never touched a PC before in his life. Does that make Windows user friendly? No.

I know your point. My point is that a Windows user is scared of Linux. Period end of story. They would rather use a program that is able to be install in Windows and used. Never in any of this did i EVER say that your opinion was wrong or should not be considered. You asked a question.

I don't mean to spout off my irrelevant opinion here, but I can't help but wonder... with a free and stable option as robust as FOG for imaging, why would you even "want" to look elsewhere?

Are you mass deploying, or just doing a single backup?

I answered it. You took it further off topic. Being someone that comes from a multi OS based background you dont understand what it is like to be dedicated to a single OS platform. To use Windows for so many years of your life and to be scared away from thungs that are not Windows. You DONT understand that. You dont get it.

I used Windows and Windows only for over 15 years. I took it upon myself to learn more. Not everyone has done that. Even with as much knowledge as I had i was scared of Linux up to 3 years ago. Cause all i EVER knew was Windows. The whole point is i Answered your question. People dont want to use a product like FOG cause they are scared of anything not Windows based. End of story. There is nothing more to it. No ease of use. No talk about who is right or wrong, what is the right choice to make and so on.

After using Windows for 15 years even i was scared to jump to Linux. It is a un-natural fear based around the stories heard that Linux is not user friendly and hard to configure and you need to be a ultra geek to use. Thats it. We can sit here all day and night and aruge all teh fine points but in the end what i am saying is the truth. Maybe not specifically in this case, but over all a die hard Windows user is SCARED of Linux.

You wouldnt, dont and wont understand that being someone who was not strictly dedicated to just the Windows platform all of your life. You are completely right that FOG is a great program and should be used. But everything i have said is the truth. Like it or hate it, it is the truth. You can defend FOG till the end of time, it will not change the opinion of a die hard Windows user. Just like it would change the mind of a die hard Linux user to switch to the Corporate Machine Microsoft. Just like no matter what Microsoft does Apple is going to do what ever it can to shread it to pieces. That is just the way it is.

You wouldnt, dont and wont understand that being someone who was not strictly dedicated to just the Windows platform all of your life.

You and I have been through this... I have more than double the time invested in Windows than I do with Linux. I got tied in with Linux purely on accident only 3 years ago.

And yet again, I'll say: If you can install Windows, you can install Ubuntu. If you can install Ubuntu, you can follow the guide to install FOG. Period. Done. Over.

In regard to the rest of the post, I'm going to bite my tongue... hard... and say nothing more.

To the original poster: FOG is a solid option. If you decide to use it, kudos. If not, good luck with whatever you choose. Although Ghost does not have Windows 7 support (yet), it sounds like it's coming soon. If you use FOG and need assistance, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom