Windows 7 Home Premium x64 won't install on clean re-formatted HDD

Jack Nitro

Baseband Member
This is just a step in the ongoing labyrinth of trying to restore my computer. The post linked below mostly explains my current situation:

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/wi...r-does-nothing-257967/index2.html#post1982652

Figuring (perhaps hoping) it was just a problem with the install, I tried downloading a new .iso image from HERE (it's a different site but the download links are all the same). I did hear that there can be problems with the download if it isn't downloaded using a download manager, since it's a large file and digitalriver can cough up the transfer if its over 2GB. So I tried downloading it with a DM this time. I also opted for an image that included sp1, just in case that made a difference. Also, I have the serial key and its an official download, so I'm not stealing.

However, a day and yet another used up dvd later, it's still giving me the same error: 0x8007048F (see above thread). Does anyone know what could cause this? Is it a problem with my hard drive? If so, is there any troubleshooting you could suggest that doesn't involve buying a new one and installing it, save for a last resort?

:(<-- help me

Also, here's some info on my internal HDD:

Vendor: ATA
Model: ST9750423AS
Storage Size: 698.6 GiB
Bus: IDE

Also also, I'm running on Ubuntu at the moment if that helps

EDIT: I'm not sure, but it seems like people have been associating this error with driver-related problems - For example:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com...l/thread/99d73998-4d47-4145-a6e1-74c22d4c89e3

I know next to nothing about drivers, though, or even if that's the real problem. Any input?

The main issue probably being that I didn't have any installed :big_grin:

If it was a driver issue before the wipe, I'd be somewhat annoyed considering that I could have just used the prepackaged system drivers loaded onto the recovery partition which I deleted when I wiped the drive. Oops.

Regardless, I'm in the process of loading the freshly downloaded drivers for my system, which is taking so long that the wind will probably erode my laptop before it's done.

What other drivers do I need other than Intel Rapid Storage Technology (Mobile Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller) ? Just to make the install work, I mean?

The SATA Drivers are not going to be of any use for you with an IDE hard drive. Here is what you need to try. First use the Windows 7 DVD. Use the Repair my PC option in the lower left corner. There select Command Prompt. There do a chkdsk /r on your hard drive. You may have to do a cd to the drive from the DVD Drive.

Let that go and see if it reports any errors. Other than that I would suggest you use GParted to format the drive and then try to install Windows 7.

The SATA Drivers are not going to be of any use for you with an IDE hard drive. Here is what you need to try. First use the Windows 7 DVD. Use the Repair my PC option in the lower left corner. There select Command Prompt. There do a chkdsk /r on your hard drive. You may have to do a cd to the drive from the DVD Drive.

Let that go and see if it reports any errors. Other than that I would suggest you use GParted to format the drive and then try to install Windows 7.

It's a SATA HDD:
Newegg.com - Seagate Momentus ST9750423AS 750GB 5400 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive

Just probably set in IDE mode in the BIOS.

Could that be part of the problem?

I just ran Chkdsk c: /r /f

gdyu9.jpg

I'm guessing the DVD didn't have enough space?

I copied a Dell Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit SP1 factory disk for a back up and it for some reason was over 5 GB. It was the factory disk! I had to use a dual layer disk to make the darn copy. My TechNet Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit SP1 is under 4.7GB. Weird huh?

As far as your picture is concerned... I don't think its insufficient space. That hard drive has more than enough space on it. And the DVD drive doesn't have much to do with it. If you want to troubleshoot some more, go download Linux... and install it on your computer. See if you have a similar problem. Your only baseline is a ripped copy of 7, who knows how good it is. Plus Linux is kind of fun to play with. If it doesn't load properly.... I'm with KSoD and I'd return it if you could.

Best of luck,

1 Click PC

I'm running on linux right now ;)

Also, my copy of windows 7 is legit - the dl is direct from microsoft. I also have a product key, but the darned thing wont install far enough to even ask for it. The reason the factory disk is probably so large is that it includes everything so that it doesn't have to use the internet to download files during the install.

I haven't tried installing Linux on the main drive, though. I'm running it through an external. That's a good idea to see if it's really busted.

I don't see why it would be, though. This laptop is only a few months old. I do have a 24 month warranty, but would a hardware malfunction be covered under accidental damage?

Back
Top Bottom