Windows 7 Hanging at Ctrl-Alt-Del

aimo3

In Runtime
I have this Windows 7 Pro desktop PC. For the second day in a row, the user is turning on the PC in the morning to find out that it is hanging at Ctrl-Alt-Del and completely unresponsive.

Yesterday I forced turn off by pressing and holding down the power button for 6 seconds and restarted it on safe mode and then normally, and it worked for the rest of the day.

Today before I do that, I tried accessing it first with RDC. It stayed forever trying to connect. You know, normally if it cannot connect, it gives up and displays the error message.

Then I tried to access it from the Run command. It neither worked nor gave the error message. After that, I tried to restart the PC with shutdown /i, but that shutdown window hanged till I closed the command prompt window.

Throughout all these trials, I was able to ping that PC using its name.

Do you know to which part of the OS this problem relates?

If it logs in successfully with Safe Mode then drivers are the usual first culprits to check. Disconnect/disable or uninstall any non-essential bits, especially anything that was recently installed, and see if the issue still occurs. Then re-enable them one by one to see if any trigger the issue.

it also logs on successfully normally. I just go to the safe mode because this is what I do when I force turn off on a PC.

I'd still say drivers are your most likely culprit, but again first double check if anything has changed recently - new software/hardware/updates/etc

i have a similar issue when the screen doesn't wake up and I would use ctrl + alt + delete. I have to reboot the computer to restart. Any idea what is the cause of why it will not wake up after ctrl + alt + del?

The old McAfee has been recently upgraded to Endpoint Security 10.2.

Definitely try disabling that to start with

i have a similar issue when the screen doesn't wake up and I would use ctrl + alt + delete. I have to reboot the computer to restart. Any idea what is the cause of why it will not wake up after ctrl + alt + del?

Please start your own thread and provide as much detail as you can ;)

Definitely try disabling that to start with
You make absolute sense. But today it started fine. I am afraid I eventually have to disable it 1 day and enable it another 20 times to find out a potentially reliable statistical probability.

is that same with Control+Shift+esc ??
have u tried doing sfc scan? try it once and see if that can fix the issue
open common as administrator then type
sfc /scannow
hit Enter and wait till it finishes
then reboot system
And update us :)

is that same with Control+Shift+esc ??
have u tried doing sfc scan? try it once and see if that can fix the issue
open common as administrator then type
sfc /scannow
hit Enter and wait till it finishes
then reboot system
And update us :)
Thanks! I've run sfc /scannow and got "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

And Ctrl+Shift+Esc has no function before you log in, does it?

Back
Top Bottom