Windows 7 FAQ and Questions

Re: Windows 7 Thread and FAQ

Yes Win7 can run in 64 Bit. Just like Vista. It will also have the same memory cap of 128GB of RAM. Which is higher than any desktop mother board can use at this point in time.

Thing that really annoys me about XP is although you can buy disks with Service Packs already on, MS can't be bothered to put some up to date software on on OS. So after installing at talkes ages to be up to date with IE, Messenger and WMP
you can use nlite for that.

I just read up on Win7's XP mode. So, it seems that it is only XP running in a virtual machine, which is something that we can already do. Since it's just a virtual machine, does that mean that there will be no 3D support in XP mode? If so, we won't be able to use it for our old 3D games.

Motoracer2, Shadows of the Empire, Virtual Pool 2, Powerboat Racing, Ski Racing, Snow Wave, Myst.

I'm sure I could go on and on, but those are the main ones I have. These games either worked in XP, or they worked flawlessly in XP's compatibility mode, but they don't work at all in Vista. I don't care about them all, but I do care about some of them.

Can I ask since when is it Microsoft responsibility to make sure that software works with their OS? I thought that was the part of the developers job. To release patches and updates to their software to make it work with Windows.

I could go on and on about whose responsibility it truly is. But the plain and simple answer is not Microsoft.

There are plenty of ways you can still play them. Heck install Win98. It is your choice to continue to try and play them on a OS that they do not support. It is not Microsoft's responsibility to support them.

I know it's not Microsoft's responsibility to keep old games working. I was mostly asking a question that hasn't been answered yet.

My question, again, is since XP mode is merely XP running in a virtual machine, and virtual machines aren't known for supporting 3D acceleration very well, does that mean that XP mode will not support 3D acceleration as well as a true XP install?

Then I was making the observation that if that is the case, that lessens the appeal of XP mode.

I have another musing as a result of the flow of conversation since my original post on the topic. If all software that runs in XP will run fine in Vista, what the heck is the point of even having an XP mode? But if there is some software that runs in XP but not in Vista, then I shouldn't be criticized for wondering if those programs will run in XP mode.

We cant answer that here yet. As none of us have this build in order to install it and test it. As it isnt being released till May 5th.

So it will be like Virtual PC but at this time we dont know. All we do know is that there is a XP Mode.

Because not all software has been updated to run in Vista. There is still plenty of software out there that doesnt function properly in Vista like it did in XP.

The point of XP Mode? To silence people. Mainly.

How many people have real gripes about XP? How many have gripes about Vista?

Now you take away the gripes for Vista by offering Win7. then you add to it the appeal of being able to still run your legacy apps that can only run in XP.

Now people have the benefit of the best of both worlds. The latest OS with support for their business apps that they cant live without that have never been upgraded to Vista.

Schools are a big one with that.

I made a simple point that it was not Microsoft's responsibility. Just as i have about driver support. As that is not Microsoft's responsibility either yet many people seem to like to blame Windows when they dont have the support for their hardware.

I asked a question. I gave reasons for my question. You want to think that i am criticizing you, fine. Sorry but it wasnt intended as such. I made a simple observation myself and asked a question based on it. I am making a simple point that it is not on Microsoft to comply to making these games work. It is your choice to run them. I have plenty of games that dont even support XP let alone Vista. Yet i dont make a single gripe about it cause it is my choice to figure out a way to run them. I dont blame Microsoft.

Thanks for the response.

I agree with you on most points, especially the hardware driver issues. And I'd even agree with you on the software issues if they weren't touting the XP mode.

But Microsoft intentionally changed the name from 'Virtual Windows XP' to 'Windows XP mode' which implies that it will run exactly like an install of XP, and it hides the preconceived limitations of virtualization. And this is a premium feature that you can only get if you pay for a version that is greater than Home Premium. When they make a bold move like that, then I think it is their responsibility to make sure that it runs everything that XP would run.

I'm not saying that it won't run that well. Maybe they have made great advancements in virtualization, and maybe they have severely tweaked it to be able to either virtualize 3D accelerated hardware or actually use our real hardware. If they have done that, then it's exciting, indeed.

I guess we'll find out on May 5th. Whoever installs it, please test out some 3D software in XP mode and let us know how it works.

I cant say for sure. The main point that i do know is that this runs only on CPU's that have Virtualization already built into them. The newer Intel and AMD Chips that say they have Virtualization is what this XPM is going to use.

So i would agree that it would seem that it will be almost like running a OS within a OS without the limitations of a Virtual Machine. But i can not confirm or deny that at this time. Cause 1 the build with this is not released and 2 i have a old P4 that cant utilize this anyways.

But i am sure that once the build hits on the 5th much more information will be available.

Back
Top Bottom