Windows 7 FAQ and Questions

Re: Windows 7 Fact Thread

Gates has nothing to do with Microsoft anymore. He is done as of July and Ballmer and others are now in charge. Gates is just a figured head now. He has no real knowledge of what is truly going on anymore. ;)

What is his official position inside Microsoft then? I have known that he is not involved in the day to day not for a long time, but is this a more polite version of what happened to ste jobs over at apple back in the 80's?

Sorry for the OT it just seemed odd.

He is retiring from Microsoft. It isn't a jousting or anything. He is just retiring from the company to pursue his Foundation. The Charity work stuff that he does.

Oh cool, at least he is trying to do something worthwhile, I know a few of the schools in my area have had computers donated to them as have some of the library's.

XP was a little rushed after the ME flop which saw quite a few fixes with SP1 and later SP2. It took 98SE to last since the first edition lacked quite a bit.
Actually, I think XP is basically an updated version of 2000, with added eye candy.
2000 and XP are extremely similar.... and 2000 was a pretty good OS IMO.

I'm not all that impressed with Vista, but Windows 7 is looking promising.

Leaked Details of Windows 7 M1 March 2008 Edition Version 6.1 Build 6574.1

Windows 7 is alive and kicking, and despite the fact that Microsoft has gagged the details about the next iteration of Windows almost to perfection, details managed to slip through the Redmond giant's fingers. The initial Windows 7 Milestone 1 build was dropped at the end of 2007, and in early

January 2008, only to close partners of the company. But the development of Windows 7 has moved along since version 6.1 Build 6519.1.x86.fre.winmain.071220-1525. From build 6519.1, Microsoft went up all the way to Version 6.1 Build 6574.1, reportedly made available in March 2008.

But even with the development milestone label of 6.1.6574.1, Windows 7 is still at the Milestone 1 stage as ThinkNext revealed. With this release, the Redmond company has tweaked the installation process of the operating system only superficially, but now the License Agreement references Windows 7 instead of Windows Vista. The next version of Windows still features the same kernel as Vista, the move to MinWin has yet to take place, and even the same editions, namely the Windows 7 Business, HomeBasic, HomePremium, Ultimate, HomeBasic N, Business N and Starter SKUs.

The new Windows 7 installer no longer requires the introduction of a product key until the finalization of the installation process, and after the initial setup, and even at that time, the phase can be skipped entirely, permitting users to run the operating system as a trial. Windows 7 also creates a hidden 500.0 MB partition which is not accessible via Windows Explorer, and is dedicated to management purposes.

Windows 7 M1 Build 6.1.6574.1 features a touched-up graphical user interface. Windows Explorer comes with two new buttons, one for Views and the other for switching the preview panel on or off. The March 2008 edition of Windows 7 M1 brings to the table the Health Center, complete with mouse over reactions. Windows 7 M1 Build 6.1.6574.1 also permits end users to temporarily disable the User Account Control in scenarios where the UAC requires multiple confirmations.

Leaked Details of Windows 7 M1 March 2008 Edition Version 6.1 Build 6574.1 - Windows 7 lives - screenshots and video - Softpedia

Two things caught my attention-

The next version of Windows still features the same kernel as Vista, the move to MinWin has yet to take place...

Windows 7 also creates a hidden 500.0 MB partition which is not accessible via Windows Explorer, and is dedicated to management purposes.

Is the kernal going to change to MinWin?! I know they're only at milestone 1, but if they're keeping the same core as Vista uses after SP1 (Same one that Windows Server 08 uses), then wtf?!

A 500MB partition that's not accessible and is used by Windows 7 only? Is this bound to change at some point, before public release?

The Kernel is slated to change. I do not know why they havent yet as the current coding wouldnt work on the new kernel. Which leads me to think that if they do not do it soon. They might stick with this kernel.

I would think that the 500MB partition thing will not change.

Sounds a bit stupid that it wants half a gig for it's own purposes... I personal think it would be used more for data collection on what people use windows for...

That would be illegal in so many ways it's not even worth considering thats what it would be used for. And how long do you think it would be before some one either A) exposed it B) Found a hack to disable it c) an how many users would they risk? Business users alone would leave faster than you would leave a lift when that the fat guy from accounting has just farted in.

Now mak i know it's a little early but I was wondering if there is any news on a public beta test yet I would like to see windows 7 up an running inside my VM.

Back
Top Bottom