Windows 7 FAQ and Questions

Re: Windows 7 Fact Thread

windows 1.0 and 2.0 were actually released they just weren't all that widely used. It wasn't until windows 3.0 that windows became the main os used on pcs. I have even seen commercials on youtube that were for windows 1.0

Windows 7 could very well be the actual name because once beta 1 rolled around for vista it all of a sudden became vista instead of longhorn. So here we are again at beta 1 of windows 7 and it is still called windows 7. We will know for sure at ces when they talk about it there.

You must mean the car salesman type ad seen at YouTube - Ballmer sells windows1.0 :p You'll notice the po box for Microsoft displayed as well for the $99 price tag on the old museum piece for hardware seen there.

The MS page for the actual history of Windows shows it was first sold in 1985 as seen at Windows History: Windows Desktop Products History

Windows 1.0 was released. Yes that is right. But not many people owned a Personal Computer back in 1984 when it was out. It wasnt until Windows 3.1 that it became a house hold name.

In fact my explanation is a bit off as well. It isnt just about the Windows name. It is the Kernel version.

Windows 1.0 used version 1 of the Kernel. XP is Version 5 of the Kernel.

xp-winver.jpg

Vista is version 6 of the Kernel.

vsp1-b249-winver.jpg

Windows 7 will be Version 7 of the Kernel.

Cant show a screen shot of that cause right now they havent finalized that part. But that is the full explanation of the choice for Windows 7. While my explanation also holds truth. This is the real reason.

Not too many could even afford one since they were sold mainly as office machines to businesses. What really brought about the home use was the release of the internet at the end of the Cold War. That was seen as a new means of promoting commerce and now see how many are actually banking online as well as shopping with every retail chain having their own online catalog.

Once the internet was open it could be compared to the cd radio boom during the 70s where everybody had to get online. That saw a typical $5,000 price on an HP laptop back in 1999 fall below $500 on many models now seen on store shelves. The sagging economy is also another factor in seeing a great more prices fall to stimulate sales all over.

At Home with HomeGroup in Windows 7

Like many places we've spent the past few weeks under quite a bit of snow, which is pretty unusual for Seattle! Most of us on the team took advantage of the snow time to install test builds of Windows 7 on our home machines as we finalize the beta for early 2009—I know I felt like I installed it on 7000 different machines. We're definitely looking forward to seeing folks kick the tires on the beta when it is available. For more information on the beta, please stay tuned to http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7 which is where we will post information about participation.

This post is about a Windows 7 feature that covers a lot of territory—it is about networking, user interface, sharing, media, printing, storage, search, and more. HomeGroup is a way of bringing all these features together in a way that makes it possible for a new level of coolness in a home with multiple PCs running Windows 7. A lot of us are the sysadmins for our own homes and for many others (friends and family). We set up network topologies, configure machines, and set things up so they work—HomeGroup is designed to make that easier so it can be done without a volunteer sysadmin. It makes for some challenges in how to describe the feature since the lack of such a feature has each of us creating our own private best practices or our own techniques for creating and maintaining a home network. HomeGroup is about making this easier (or possible for everyone else) and at the same time giving you the tools to customize and manage—and no matter what, under the hood the file and printer sharing, media sharing, and networking you are already familiar with is there should you wish to stick with the familiar ways. HomeGroup is a deep feature that builds on a lot of new infrastructure/plumbing new to Windows 7, though in this post we'll talk about it from the experience of setting up a network.

This is a feature that is one you should just use and see it working, rather than trying to read about it as it covers so much territory in writing.

This post is by Jerry Koh a lead program manager in the Core User Experience team, with help from a number of folks across the dev team. --Steven

PS: From all of us on the Windows team, we wish you a very Happy New Year!

You probably have seen or heard about HomeGroup by now. We demonstrated it at PDC this year during Steven's keynote, it was mentioned a few times at WinHec, and some of you may have even tried it on your PCs with the PDC pre-beta build of Windows 7. HomeGroup represents a new end-to-end approach to sharing in the home, an area in which Windows has provided many features before --- the intuitive end to end is what's new. HomeGroup recognizes and groups your Windows 7 PCs in a “simple to set up” secure group that enables open access to media and digital memories in your home. With HomeGroup, you can share files in the home, stream music to your XBOX 360 or other devices, and print to the home printer without worrying about technical setup or even understanding how it all works.

More at Source

I think I will wait until windows 7 is released to deploy it on my parents home network. Should make life a lot easier. Networking between XP and vista sucks.

Teach XP and Vista to play nice on networks

That article might prove to be of assistance in that area. Many people have used it with great success around here.

But i would advise to wait for the release. Running a beta OS as a primary OS is not the best idea. I have had Win7 crash for no reason when just closing WMP at times. Says hardware problem but Vista and Ubuntu works fine. Restart to Win7 and it works just fine.

It is just the Beta thing that there are many issues yet to be resolved that it is never wise for anyone not familiar with Betas not to run it as a primary OS.

Teach XP and Vista to play nice on networks

That article might prove to be of assistance in that area. Many people have used it with great success around here.

But i would advise to wait for the release. Running a beta OS as a primary OS is not the best idea. I have had Win7 crash for no reason when just closing WMP at times. Says hardware problem but Vista and Ubuntu works fine. Restart to Win7 and it works just fine.

It is just the Beta thing that there are many issues yet to be resolved that it is never wise for anyone not familiar with Betas not to run it as a primary OS.

Thanks for the link Mak.

I am running windows 7 pre-beta as a primary OS on my desktop and it absolutely flys - couldnt get the RAID and other drive to dual boot without blue screens for some reason. I tried slipstreaming XP-64 raid drivers into an XP-64 image but it still didnt like the RAID 0 setup so I just went solely with windows 7. I installed windows 7 on my laptop along XP and it still flys even with limited hardware.

If you are running any prebeta release you are not even running a full featured fully integrated version of Windows. I have to agree with Mak there since these are still intended for testing and further development not for every day use.

While waiting for a finished edtion of 7 when it comes out I am looking to replace XP probably with the 64bit edtion of Home Premium or Ultimate for the time being. I'll likely be in a new build when 7 is finally out however.

If you are running any prebeta release you are not even running a full featured fully integrated version of Windows. I have to agree with Mak there since these are still intended for testing and further development not for every day use.

Well yeah, otherwise it wouldn't be a pre-beta ;). And it can still be "fully featured". It just depends on what features they put into the pre-beta, and what features they add in each build. In Build 6801, I have the HomeGroups feature as well, so that's nothing new to me. I haven't used it yet, but it's still there.

No it is well known that the Pre-Beta wasnt feature complete. Beta 1 us supposed to be. But honestly i havent seen any new features that were not in the Pre-Beta build.

Back
Top Bottom