Windows 7 FAQ and Questions

Re: Windows 7 Fact Thread

First Look at Windows 7 Beta 1

A ZDNet blogger took a look at Windows 7 Beta 1 and posted a ton of screens and some observations. Follow the jump for the shots and notes.

Judging by the quality of this build, I expect Windows 7 to be released June/July of ‘09. I really can't see Microsoft dragging out the release a year.

That is very skeptical. There are still many bugs with this software. Cant even install Daemon Tools or Alcohol 120% yet.

Wow.. did anybody notice he's only running 1gig.. that's awesome if its actually smooth with that little!

Also it recognized the Core 2 Quad q9300 to be an Extreme... lol

Does anyone know what changes have been made in beta 1 from build 6956?

Three Options for Vista-to-Windows 7 Update, Rumor

Ars Technica reports on the upgrade path rumor from Vista to Windows 7. Good bye Business and welcome back Professional. No word on a super-cheap version, such as Starter or Home Basic yet. Interesting.

These three upgrade paths "confirm" two more editions: Home Premium and Professional. These two are the ones that most customers will likely be buying, whereas the average geek will likely go ahead and grab Ultimate.

Does anyone know what changes have been made in beta 1 from build 6956?

No because Beta 1 is not out yet. And Build 6956 was a leak which many didnt run.

I doubt it will still be called Windows 7 when the finished version is out. If you go to count how many different versions have been released since 1.0 the actual number exceeds 7.

Let's see that would be:
3.1, 3.11,
NT 3.1, NT 4.0,
95, 95 PLUS!,
98, 98SE, 98PLUS!,
2K, 2K Pro
ME(which some would like to forget :p),
XP Pro, XP Home
Winserver 2003,
XP MCE, XP Pro 64,
Vista 32bit and 64bit editions of Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, Enterprise,
Winserver 2008,
and then sooner or later Vienna? as it was first called,

Did I miss any? :p Just for desktop versions alone 7 would be #10.

Actually no. They dont count Windows 1.0, 2.0 and that cause they were never released. They were only Betas.

Windows 3.1 and 3.11 are the same. Just like XP, XP SP1, XP SP2, XP SP3 ;)

So you really have

Windows 3.1
Win 95
Win 98
Win ME
Win XP
Win Vista
Win 7

Win NT was server only. That doesnt count for desktops nor does Win 2000 as that was also Server based even though there was a Pro version. t was still considered a Server based OS. Cant Count MCE cause that is just XP Pro. Cant count XP X64 as it is still XP.

So yes it is Windows 7. Plus the first Codename for Windows 7 was Blackcomb, then Vienna and then finally got Windows 7.

So no you are wrong on your asestment cause it is version 7. You count each OS seperately when they are not. XP is XP no matter if it is MCE, X64, Home or Pro. It is still XP. Same goes for every other one. No matter the SP or version. It goes by the core OS.

Plus you missed a few others in there. There was Win 95, 95A and 95B as well. Which were basically SP to Win95 but were not called that back then. Just as there was a Win 98 and Win 98 1st Edition then Win98SE. The Plus was jsut a add on and not considered to be a OS itself. Just as there was a Win XP Plus! package as well back in the day.

So yes this is Windows 7 and yes this will most likely stay as the name. Just as Office 14 will most likely be Office 2009.

I wasn't necessarily counting NT into the desktop mix there or the Winserver editions since those are for networking as a rule. 3.11 was more or less the version of 3.1 that offered network support there.

Basically 95PLUS! was simply seeing OSR2 included in that release of 95 offering a degree of 32bit support. But you can see where many will ask "why 7?" when there that many separate versions without discluding the server types.

Many run 2000 on their desktops as if it was simply the predecessor to XP as ME was also. That sort of saw two turn into one with the NT core mixed with Fat support there.

windows 1.0 and 2.0 were actually released they just weren't all that widely used. It wasn't until windows 3.0 that windows became the main os used on pcs. I have even seen commercials on youtube that were for windows 1.0

Windows 7 could very well be the actual name because once beta 1 rolled around for vista it all of a sudden became vista instead of longhorn. So here we are again at beta 1 of windows 7 and it is still called windows 7. We will know for sure at ces when they talk about it there.

Back
Top Bottom