Windows 7 FAQ and Questions

Re: Windows 7 Fact Thread

Tis true... though I still prefer XP x64.
Then skin it.

I think my Raptor is dying, so I bought a 500GB Seagate 7200.11 drive, installed XP 32, then made another XP x64 CD using nlite (I usually get better at customising it each time I do it), and reinstalled.
It's really nice and fast that way. Super responsive without having prefetching or anything.

I agree. XP 64 is still my OS of choice.

Though windows 7 is super responsive. I got a bad taste in my mouth with vista and having to use it on laptops. It's just painfully slow.

It also helps having a quadcore and 8gb of ram.

Vista on fast SSD drive is really nice. everything near instant load and only 13 second boot times.

Sorry Build 6956 was a Leak and not a Official Release. Which means no support cause it was not obtained thru legit methods.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/windows-7-warning-189134/

As already stated if not obtained thru legit means no help will be given. This topic has been around for longer than Win 7 has been available.

I agree. XP 64 is still my OS of choice.

Though windows 7 is super responsive. I got a bad taste in my mouth with vista and having to use it on laptops. It's just painfully slow.

It also helps having a quadcore and 8gb of ram.

8gb of memory sees 5-6+gb going to waste for most systems. Unless you are running some memory grabbing softwares like CAD development programs, TurboCAD 3D/2D something along those lines Vista generally runs well on a system seeing 2gb of memory while a 2.8ghz or faster cpu plus disabling some features sees an actual performance boost.

The MS page on how to boost Vista's performance can be seen at Performance and maintenance - Windows Vista Help

Another article that came out soon after Vista's release shows the ten steps to take at 10 Simple Ways To Speed Up Windows Vista | Connected Internet

I've noticed if using vista 64bit it is better to have 4gb than 2gb... even at 4 i am using 50% doing normal things such as browse the net, listen to music, IM, and the such.

8gb of memory sees 5-6+gb going to waste for most systems. Unless you are running some memory grabbing softwares like CAD development programs, TurboCAD 3D/2D something along those lines Vista generally runs well on a system seeing 2gb of memory while a 2.8ghz or faster cpu plus disabling some features sees an actual performance boost.

The MS page on how to boost Vista's performance can be seen at Performance and maintenance - Windows Vista Help

Another article that came out soon after Vista's release shows the ten steps to take at 10 Simple Ways To Speed Up Windows Vista | Connected Internet

CAD, yes. I use solidworks and have seen it eat up to 5gb of memory with our biggest models.

When you are seeing large amounts of ram like that taken up then you have a need for more ram then would ever be used for games and apps at this time anyways. Once 64bit spftwares are more abundant with 7 and what comes after game maps and other things will tend to be larger for use with the 64bit kernels.

The 64bit edititions of Vista can use the memory a little more efficiently while not actually needing more. With 4gb on here for the 32bit Home Premium some 2,8gb is seen as available ram out of the 3.58gb or so total reported. With just the basic desktop and some antivirus running that only sees some 700-800mb used.

Have 32 bit windows 7 up and running on my HP DV8000 laptop and everything is fine and dandy. Everything is working well :)

Hardware isn't even that strong on this laptop

Nice links, Mak also posted another one that MS posted a while back

Nice links, Mak also posted another one that MS posted a while back

I ran across the second one shortly after Vista's release back in 2007. That was about the time everyone was making initial complaints on seeing more memory used on the new version. There are a few more like that if you ran a good search.

The MS page seen at the first link is something far more recent since the site there had undergone some changes lately. I'm not surprized to hear that Mak ran into another page like the one seen there. I would actually be more surprized if he hadn't! :p

Back
Top Bottom