Windows 7 FAQ and Questions

Windows7 Pre-Release Candidate Build 7100 To Die Next Week

The interesting fact about SP! is that the basic OS stands alone; it does not need the modifications or upgrades or revisions that have typically been the reason for going with the Service Pack methodology. Windows7 has had a remarkable standing these last 7 months with business and private consumers. SP1 may come out, but it is not necessary.

Windows 7 SP1 Beta Coming in July

According to this post on the Windows Team Blog, Microsoft will be releasing the public beta of Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 by the end of July.

Today, at TechEd, we are pleased to announce that by the end of July we will be releasing the public beta of Service Pack 1 for Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7. During our Desktop Virtualization Hour webcast in March, we introduced you to Service Pack 1. We demonstrated the two main new features in Windows Server 2008 R2 that will provide virtualization capabilities to help enhance the Windows VDI experience.

Win7 SP1 is coming...are you ready and the real question. Is it really needed since it only contains updates that are readily available as of right now?

Not really. Look at it this way. There is less than 50 updates to Win7 right now. That includes the updates to IE8 as well. This is just updates to the Windows itself. Not including driver updates that hit WU, not including updates for MSE, not including updates for Office, Silverlight or any other product installed.

50 updates for Windows itself with IE8 since that was bundled at the time i installed my copy. Yeah i have about 250 total installed. But that includes the daily update for MSE, Office 2007 and 2010, Silverlight and so on.

So really having SP1 right now with 50 updates is not that major of a deal. Many people dont realize that most of the updates done are for other products not just Windows.

It takes roughly an hour to install it as well. That is another thing to consider.

To date there is no software that can slipstream SP for Vista or Win7. Microsoft hasnt even released a slipstreamed version of Win7 with SP1. So at this time, that isnt an option. Yeah after SP1 gets finalized there will be a Win7 SP1 DVD available. But my question still remains, is it truly worth it to release SP1 when there is only 50 updates to the OS?

Vista and XP both had well over 100 updates on their first SP. Heck XP SP3 contained over 1,000 updates. But because some people have it in their head that the release of a SP makes the OS better and they decide to wait for it, it forces Microsoft to put out a SP when one isnt truly needed. Here we sit not a year after its release and Microosft is pushing to get a SP out just so those people who wait for a SP to adopt the OS can get on the OS.

This is by far the lowest count of updates in a SP i can recall. In any OS made by Microsoft. That means so much in terms of how stable Win7 really is over all the previous versions of Windows.

To date there is no software that can slipstream SP for Vista or Win7.
I'm pretty sure vlite can, but I haven't tested it.
Though I know Microsoft doesn't like people using nlite or vlite.
Microsoft hasn't even released a slipstreamed version of Win7 with SP1. So at this time, that isn't an option. Yeah after SP1 gets finalized there will be a Win7 SP1 DVD available. But my question still remains, is it truly worth it to release SP1 when there is only 50 updates to the OS?
I agree it isn't really needed or benificial in the technical sense. Though it does simplify updating if you just install one thing instead of 50.
Vista and XP both had well over 100 updates on their first SP. Heck XP SP3 contained over 1,000 updates. But because some people have it in their head that the release of a SP makes the OS better and they decide to wait for it, it forces Microsoft to put out a SP when one isn't truly needed. Here we sit not a year after its release and Microsoft is pushing to get a SP out just so those people who wait for a SP to adopt the OS can get on the OS.
So the release of SP1 can remove the psychological barrier that some people have.
This is by far the lowest count of updates in a SP i can recall. In any OS made by Microsoft. That means so much in terms of how stable Win7 really is over all the previous versions of Windows.
I would say Windows 7 is really the first Windows OS that's really secure and stable without needing service packs.

vlite doesnt slipstream the SP into the install. Last time i used it, it was mainly for removing of some un-needed or unwanted things that Windows installs. It is even reflected on their site like this. It will install hotfixes and drivers, but no SP.

About - vLite - Windows Vista configuration tool

I know that is it all in the mind of the user about the SP ideal. It just seems to me that the time spent on getting a SP together can be put to better use. Would we rather they work on getting a Beta SP together or work on getting Win8 going and making it even better than Win7 is? Cant have the team work on both projects at the same time. So you have to split the man power and then you have less happening on each product.

I do think that Win7 is by far the most secure version of Windows released. But i know most people think my ideas are tainted a bit due to my MVP.

Back
Top Bottom