Windows 7 FAQ and Questions

WinRar. You archive the folder and password protect it. There is no software out there that i know of other than encryption that can "password protect" a folder without doing something else to it.

Mind you now, that using Encryption if you have a system failure you LOSE those files with NO CHANCE at recovery. Same goes for using WinRar. So unless you are 250,000% sure that you will not forget, lose or have a system failure while this stuff is on it would be highly advise to find an alternative method to store your data. Cause once you do something with encryption and protection there is no way in the world you will get it back.

NTFS has file encryption. Just google for it and you will see. But i would highly advise keeping your files on an external drive or flash drive or something that you can regulate far easier than relying on your system which i know you have had issues with in the past. Last thing you want to do is go this far just to have a crash and not be able to ever get them back.

thanks mak!
Now since i have my netbook i have a question about sleep mode and hibernation
is hibernation safe? or should i just turn of netbook off everytime?

Hibernation is just fine. Just make sure to save your work before you hibernate in case you get that rare error where you cant come out of hibernation. Saves you the hassle of trying to recover something that was stored in RAM at the time it went into hibernation.

Hibernation is just fine. Just make sure to save your work before you hibernate in case you get that rare error where you cant come out of hibernation. Saves you the hassle of trying to recover something that was stored in RAM at the time it went into hibernation.

what about turning off the hard disks

That is fine as well. As long as you are not downloading anything, moving files, or have a scan set to go off while the system is hibernated.

Sleep keeps the computer on, in a low-power state - it lets you get back to what you were doing than Hibernate.
Hibernate saves everything in the RAM to the OS drive (I think), and then turns off. Then loads it back when you turn it on again. I usually just turn my netbook off since it's usually faster than leaving it on hibernate.

Sleep keeps the computer on, in a low-power state - it lets you get back to what you were doing than Hibernate.
Hibernate saves everything in the RAM to the OS drive (I think), and then turns off. Then loads it back when you turn it on again. I usually just turn my netbook off since it's usually faster than leaving it on hibernate.

thats what i assumed, thanks
plus i tried hibernate and i like it that way i guess... its running fine now, i just upgraded mine to 2 gigs of ram with 7 on it it, lovin it, making my overnights so much better, i dont get bored anymroe plus i can keep in touch with tf more often now

Back
Top Bottom