Windows 7 FAQ and Questions

need some help here.
got my new hdd and installed win 7...but i still had win 7 on my other hdd..
now i cant remove the old one...i try deleting the hdd and formatting and it stays its active and wont do it.
I wanna wipe my other hdd clean and just use the win 7 on this new hdd i have.
Keeps mentioning system files will get corrupted...which is weird cos i installed win 7 on the new hdd and didnt touch the old one...

If the old hard drive was in the system this will happen. You need to check disk management to make sure that the new install is the system active and boot partition. If not you are in for a long journey.

If the old hard drive was in the system this will happen. You need to check disk management to make sure that the new install is the system active and boot partition. If not you are in for a long journey.

bad news, the old hdd is the system active and primary partiotion and so is the current one...

Whats this long journey now?
or if i wanted to start all over...what should be done?

Well if you want to start over, remove the drive from the system and install Win7 again. This will prevent the old drive from being marked as the system active.

If not, you must go into the disk management, mark the drive you want as the system active, restart the system. It will not boot. You will then have to insert the Win7 DVD and repair the startup with the Repair my PC options. that may not work on the first try so you might have to do it up to 4 or 5 times to get it to take properly. Restarting your PC after each try to see if it worked.

Well if you want to start over, remove the drive from the system and install Win7 again. This will prevent the old drive from being marked as the system active.

If not, you must go into the disk management, mark the drive you want as the system active, restart the system. It will not boot. You will then have to insert the Win7 DVD and repair the startup with the Repair my PC options. that may not work on the first try so you might have to do it up to 4 or 5 times to get it to take properly. Restarting your PC after each try to see if it worked.

alright so this is what i did
i set my new hdd as active and yes i did have to do the win7 step..
then i went to diskpart from cmd and made the old hdd unactive...which worked
but the problem is...i cant completely format or delete the old hdd cos it still says its primiary or the boot files are in it...but the boot files are in it from the old win 7 installation...i just wanna delete this hdd...

So use GParted. Stop trying to use Windows for everything. It is not the end all tool for every action.

Back
Top Bottom