Windows 7 FAQ and Questions

Re: Windows 7 Thread and FAQ

My dad is having major problems with his computer currently running xp sp3 the computer is a pentium 4 2.66Ghz, 1 Gb ram, 80 GB HDD, and a geforce fx 5500 video card. I am thinking of doing a complete reformat of this computer and am wondering if anyone here has any experience with how well 7 runs on systems in this range. I have run the windows 7 compatibility tool from MS and everything checks out ok. I don't trust these tools since they just tell if the system will run but not how well it will run.

Anyways, my point is I really need to format this computer soon because it is running like a complete sack of crap but do not want to have to put xp back on it since it is already running a non genuine copy.

I am thinking of getting a family pack of windows 7 for the rest of the family.

This may not help you one bit but it's food for thought. I have a crappy ibm laptop that is pretty old school. It had xp on it and ran pretty bad. It had the bare minimum specs to run vista so I put vista on it. Since then it runs much better. I think vista and w7 are much more optimized so you will see improvement even if he only has the bare specs to run it.

did you test how well video playback was ie avi files, youtube, dvds. My dad likes to watch youtube links people send him as well as the occasional dvd

a little bit more than a day til windows 7 is for sale!:)

it is on sale on newegg only today, because today is when it expires! $10 off!

i have a quick question! Windows 7 Ultimate has Aero Glass remoting and Multilingual User Interface Pack. What are those and are they important to have?

Aero Glass is the transparent user interface.
Remoting is Remote Desktop.
Multilingual Language pack is only if you use more than 1 language.

I use Win7 on a P4 3.4GHz with HT, 3GB of DDR2 RAM and it ran just fine. Playing videos and everything. Might have to bump up the RAM beyond 1GB but it will be jstu fine to run Win7.

Aero Glass is the transparent user interface.
Remoting is Remote Desktop.
Multilingual Language pack is only if you use more than 1 language.

I use Win7 on a P4 3.4GHz with HT, 3GB of DDR2 RAM and it ran just fine. Playing videos and everything. Might have to bump up the RAM beyond 1GB but it will be jstu fine to run Win7.

so i wont get the transparent UI in Home Premium version? :(

Which Windows 7 is right for you? | Crave - CNET

^^ found this.

EDIT:

looking online what these new features are myself :D.

Home Premium will have the Aero as well. Ultimate doesnt offer much more than HP anymore. Other than BitLocker and the Multilingual packs.

Back
Top Bottom