Windows 7 FAQ and Questions

Re: Windows 7 Thread and FAQ

I Love 7, but this bipolar network thing is killing me.

Edit. I spent most of the day trying to reconnect the network (UnPlugging and resetting everything, etc.)
I was wondering about something so I gave it a try. I logged off of my kids name on their computer and logged in as their mom (She is the administrator with password and they are standard users without one). Viola now the networks works. WTF?

now earlier I was working on my computer and a friend computer that had xp on it. I was trying to access the network to install software from mine. the other computer wasn't even in the equation.

I think somehow that my wife and kid's (Really it's my kids but my wife is never on her upstairs computer) computer has somehow decided to be the master of the network and she needs to be on for it to work. what's up with that?

I tell you what. The RTM of XPMode is very nice. It is smooth, but a tad slow on this machine. Of course using a PII545 CPU that could be why. It is basically like running XP with about 512MB of RAM. Somethings are still very quick to do but some actions take more time to accomplish.

XP Mode uses XP SP3. There are only a few updates available and sadly from the look of my Device Manager can only do 16 Bit color. Have to test out something like Starcraft to make sure that it works cause if it does, there is the answer for those that say they cant live without it.

I Love 7, but this bipolar network thing is killing me.

Edit. I spent most of the day trying to reconnect the network (UnPlugging and resetting everything, etc.)
I was wondering about something so I gave it a try. I logged off of my kids name on their computer and logged in as their mom (She is the administrator with password and they are standard users without one). Viola now the networks works. WTF?

now earlier I was working on my computer and a friend computer that had xp on it. I was trying to access the network to install software from mine. the other computer wasn't even in the equation.

I think somehow that my wife and kid's (Really it's my kids but my wife is never on her upstairs computer) computer has somehow decided to be the master of the network and she needs to be on for it to work. what's up with that?

Every computer on the Home network effects the network. 1 computer can have 1 problem app that blocks the whole network.. so your kids must have a problem app that is killing your network.. when they are logged off, the network works.. right?

XP is a pain to network with..

Every computer on the Home network effects the network. 1 computer can have 1 problem app that blocks the whole network.. so your kids must have a problem app that is killing your network.. when they are logged off, the network works.. right?

XP is a pain to network with..

I never had this problem with xp. I'm thinking of getting a new gigabit router

It is not so much a problem with XP as it is trying to get XP to play nice with the new networking that was brought on by Vista and fine tuned by Win7. I mean just look at the networking area and see how many threads there are about getting XP to play nice with Vista. With the reworking of the network stack in Vista it makes it more difficult to work flawlessly among the newer Windows with the older ones.

Some dont have any issues while others have tons. I know i dont have any issues. But then again i am only working with 1 desktop and 1 laptop. Laptop has XP and i run Win7. So it isnt that hard for me to do what i need.

We can't have good network security at my house because if I enable wpa all of a sudden my dads computer can't see the network but everyone else running vista or 7 can just fine.
At my house security isn't all that important since I live out in the country with no neighbours close by.
except one time someone clearly was using our internet since you could see some guy pulled over at the side of the road for about half an hour and you could see the guy looking down like hes looking at a screen. I looked under network on my computer and there was an extra computer showing up lol.

I'm going to have to get windows 7 on my dads comp at some point, I just home it can handle it

ok. I acted like I smoke crack. I fixed the network homegroup issues. I swapped my Gigabit switch because I couldn't find a router with 8 plugs. I still have the issues, however when I ran the homegroup troubleshooter this time it detect that I had a 3rd party firewall. Wtf? then i realize that I did have one. eset smart security. I uninstalled that and install nod32 and everything is working now

Back
Top Bottom