Windows 7 FAQ and Questions

Re: Windows 7 Thread and FAQ

Hmm i wonder about the Zune software on Windows 7. I will be buying Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM tomorrow off newegg for $99.99. Any tips that i should know? I plan on paritioning my 1TB HDD, when i get it. Maybe like 30-50GB. I was thinking of doing this in Vista first. I tried using gparted but i couldnt get that to work.
There are tiks kusted in teh Recommend Thread in the Read First thread. ;)

There is no issue with the Zune software. I have it installed and it orks jsut fine and is updated to version 3.x for the new ZuneHD's out now. Running Win7 64 Bit as well.
i use acronis disk manager a++++++:)

Acronis is alright, but if you make a single mistake, like forget to lable a drive or forget a flag, you are in serious trouble.

I have a question about this thread, and I'm not trying to be a jerk it's serious question.

When will people be able to start posting about Windows7 with out the topics being locked because there is this 100+ page thread about it. Personally I hate coming in here to sift through this many pages hoping to find some information out. Plus when you do search it doesn't show the exact post just the thread it is in.

Even if this topic does stay sticky I don't think topics should get locked because someone mentioned it in here.

Ok I'm off my soap box now!

Well yesterday I was trying to set the rip option to 320 mp3 and it got stuck in that endless loop. the other day on my other computer I was just skipping song in my long playlist and it did the same thing. with Itunes I did just come back the next day to let it load my music files but it has acted right after that (Right for Itunes that is). Today I could set the rip option just fine

Chad711 said:
When will people be able to start posting about Windows7 with out the topics being locked because there is this 100+ page thread about it
Win7 was released as a public beta a long time ago, and went through a few betas. Mak was one of the testers, so he gave us previews of it all along. Win7 was also released to TechNet subscribers (and others) early, around six weeks or more ago.

Basically, some are running the beta, some are running the release candidate, and others are running the retail version.

Any thread that was on a pirated version, or a version obtained outside of normal channels, was deal with right then and there. ;)

Personally I hate coming in here to sift through this many pages hoping to find some information out. Plus when you do search it doesn't show the exact post just the thread it is in.
Always check the Windows Stickies Index. Mak tries to update it with the good stuff.

Ok. well my disc is coming in 3-5 days and if I have issues I'd like to start making threads that relate to that issue. That way searches are easier to find!! So are you saying we always need to post in the stickies for Win7?

Thanks for the link.

Quick question too. Does anyone know if this deal they ($30 w/ edu email) did will allow us to use the disc for more then one install on 1 or more computers in my home? I recall previous OS let you do 5 or so??

We try to keep all the information here when it pertains to Win7. It does no one any good having 450 threads about Win7, vista or XP when trying to get answers for their questions. Having a single location to go to is far easier than starting 15 threads to ask all of the questions needed.

Yeah this thread maybe long, but it is far easier to find the information here than trying to look through the thousands of pages and topics per page to get the answer you want. As not every topic is labeled properly to be caught by the search and not every topic is tagged. So you may completely miss the topic in a search for those reasons, and it could easily contain your answer.

Which is the whole reason why i created this thread. To have a central location. 1 place to go to get all your questions answered.

As for the threasd being locked, that has stopped for a while now. It stopped almost the same week it was released to MSDN/TechNET people. There were a few threads that got closed because it was apparent that those people did not get it via legal means. Only those threads have been locked. Just checking the Windows Index you will see a lot of threads about Win7 that have been started in the past month.

To answer your question.

1 serial = 1 OS. That is the way it always has been for Windows and the way it will continue. Previous OS did NOT let you install on 5 PC's legally. It allowed for 5 activations. You can only have 1 machine active at any time.

Ok that makes sense. I build every time so it was always the same machine. My g/f was wondering if I could install it on her computer too but I wasn't sure how that worked.

Thanks

About the topics being locked. I didn't know there was many out there from the pirated copies. I just noticed that every once in awhile when I posted a W7 topic it got locked. I personally cannot stand 100 page topics. It's a mess and takes way to long to search. Searches look for key words in topics or subjects so when I see this thread pop up in my search I shake my head and close it. Not user friendly. I can understand multi thread locks but when someone has a question they shouldn't need pointed to this topic.

However I do see more and more topics now for W7 so that is a nice change.

The only way to do that would be to get the Family Pack which gives you 3 Licenses' (Serials) for $150.

My dad is having major problems with his computer currently running xp sp3 the computer is a pentium 4 2.66Ghz, 1 Gb ram, 80 GB HDD, and a geforce fx 5500 video card. I am thinking of doing a complete reformat of this computer and am wondering if anyone here has any experience with how well 7 runs on systems in this range. I have run the windows 7 compatibility tool from MS and everything checks out ok. I don't trust these tools since they just tell if the system will run but not how well it will run.

Anyways, my point is I really need to format this computer soon because it is running like a complete sack of crap but do not want to have to put xp back on it since it is already running a non genuine copy.

I am thinking of getting a family pack of windows 7 for the rest of the family.

That's in the neighborhood of what Mak used to run during the beta tests of 7. it should run fine.

Back
Top Bottom