Windows 7 FAQ and Questions

Re: Windows 7 Thread and FAQ

IE wasnt really removed. Just the IE shortcut on the desktop. All the files for IE were still there. So it wasnt like there was no such thing as a browser on there.

Are you sure about that? Could you provide a reference or something?

And awww, I liked us having a version to our very own :p

What I don't get about the E versions is how do those people get online to begin with. If there's no browser how do they download a browser. For example a freshly formatted computer you go onto IE to download firefox then never use ie again.
Presumably stick it on a memory stick/SD card/CD/etc.
It is (was?) up to the computer manufacturers whether to include IE with Windows 7 E, which presumably they would; and anyone buying a retail/OEM disc would probably have enough tech smarts to know how to download a browser and put it on a memory stick.

Edit: Btw Mak, I noticed there was no 'difference between the versions' bit of FAQ, which would probably be helpful; in which case you may wish to link to here.

The FAQ is for the Beta and RC Versions right now. Not for the final. I will adjust it for RTM before Oct 22nd. As it is not available for people to use at this time.

The information i got about IE was provided by Microsoft. It was on their website, it was posted as news by Mary Jo Foley, Paul Thurrott, and Ed Bott. It was noted by Betanews, Softpedia, and Neowin.

Working to Fulfill our Legal Obligations in Europe for Windows 7 - Microsoft On The Issues

There is the official press release about it from Microsoft. Explaining what they were trying to achieve. It explains how even without the IE Executable you could still perform actions which required the core files of IE to accomplish such tasks.

Most importantly, the E versions of Windows 7 will continue to provide all of the underlying platform functionality of the operating system applications designed for Windows will run just as well on an E version as on other versions of Windows 7.

Cant run a program when it needs the core of IE if it isnt there. Which means that it was still there and all they did was remove the executable.

More questions (and even a few answers) about Windows 7 E | All about Microsoft | ZDNet.com

Even better are the references there.

So as you see IE was not removed. It is to embedded into the core of the OS to just remove it.

Ah right, makes sense. I didn't realise bits of IE were so critical to the OS.

hey mak, i finally started using win 7 more often.
But problems have already started.
Maybe its the new graphic drivers...not sure.
After playing a game my wallpaper goes black and I have to log off and logg on again or do a restart.
I've been testing several diff drivers and same prob.
Plus while watching movies i get video errors after watching for a long time...

If anyone else has a similar config to my pc, let me know what nvidia gpu driver your're using.
Thanks!
Btw, the latest driver i've tested is 190.56

I am using 190.38 right now. I have no issues. Are you removing the old drivers first? Or are you just constantly installing the other drivers without removing the drivers and causing a driver conflict?

I am using 190.38 right now. I have no issues. Are you removing the old drivers first? Or are you just constantly installing the other drivers without removing the drivers and causing a driver conflict?

I've been doing the same steps for a while now.
Uninstall, goto safe mode, use a driver cleaner then install new drivers.

Im on 186.18, going backwards and so far so good...
3d mark is 13,601, cpu @3ghz, gpu at stock

What mods have you done to the OS? I run the 190.38 WHQL Driver with no issues. I have played Warcraft 3, Portal for up to 6 hours with no issues. I have watched at least 30 hours of video with no issues.

Are you overclocking the GPU at all?

What mods have you done to the OS? I run the 190.38 WHQL Driver with no issues. I have played Warcraft 3, Portal for up to 6 hours with no issues. I have watched at least 30 hours of video with no issues.

Are you overclocking the GPU at all?

mods? no mods...
gpu at stock.
idles in high 50s.

so far so good with 186.18...gonna keep testing and gaming.

Maybe the card is showing signs of failure? That is the only thing i can think of. Cause i know that i have been using the 190.38 drivers since they were beta and now i have the WHQL ones and i have not had this issue no matter what i am doing.

Maybe the card is showing signs of failure? That is the only thing i can think of. Cause i know that i have been using the 190.38 drivers since they were beta and now i have the WHQL ones and i have not had this issue no matter what i am doing.

well i know the card isn't that old plus it hasn't had problems in xp.
i'll be gaming more tonight and see if it fails.

i'll keep you posted
Thanks mak

EDIT
was playing fifa for a few hours and it happened again
this is wierd and annoying
wat steps do u take for a new driver install
plus wats ure setup

Back
Top Bottom