Windows 7 FAQ and Questions

Re: Windows 7 Thread and FAQ

It is still only reportedly. It is not confirmed by Microsoft. Even says it in the headline. ;)

I'm just curious as to whether that info about Daemon Tools in the original post is referring to the ability to install Windows 7 from the ISO file itself. See, I downloaded the ISO of the release candidate last night, but as I don't have any blank DVD's at the moment, or a USB device capable of storing something of that size, I was wondering if it is possible to just do an upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 with the ISO mounted in Daemon. I don't want to be halfway through the install and find out it's not reading reading the DVD from Daemon anymore. That would be bad. From what I got from the original post, the answer is no, but I'm not sure if that is what it was referring to or not. Some clarification on this would be appreciated, and if not, it's no biggie to go grab a blank DVD. But would be preferable to just install it from the virtual drive. I'm sure somebody has asked this very question somewhere in this thread, but it is quite lengthy and would be hard to find. Thanks.

Yes NoClue i will update this as i get more information. As for now this is all the info that has been shared.

Eye yes you are right. But as you see i am spot on with my timeline between OS's. I never included anything from before 95 because few if any people here used Windows 3.1 or 3.11 for workgroups.

By the way, I looked on at this post from the first page in horror, as I realized that I am the exception to this rule. I have been playing with computers since the DOS 5.0/Windows 3.0 days! How old am I!?!:dead:

The information provided in the first post is about installing the software within Win7 not using the software from another OS and using the Win7 ISO file. That is completely different. This is strictly about what installs and works within Win7 itself.

It would be advised not to upgrade. The RC build, while great, is still far from perfect. I would suggest you dual boot to make sure that the hardware has drivers and that your software works.

I know i have answered this before but to say it again,

Win7 install is not like previous versions of Windows. It copies the files from the source to the HDD right from the start. Before it even makes it to the first reboot during the install all files needed for the install are already on the PC. So if you are using a DVD or going from a ISO image, it wont matter. At the time the system hits the reboot it wont need the media or image anymore. All files are located on the drive at this time.

So you can install via a mounted ISO and it will not affect you in any way shape or form.

Thanks for clarifying, Mak. Sorry for making you answer it again, but I couldn't go through the whole post as it is entirely too long.

hey mak
im gonna get rid of my win 7 copy cos its the rc version
im was just gonna format that partition but im hoping it doesnt interfere with my booting properties...
wat wud u suggesT?

Thanks for clarifying, Mak. Sorry for making you answer it again, but I couldn't go through the whole post as it is entirely too long.
Not a problem. Will add it to the first post for clarification.

hey mak
im gonna get rid of my win 7 copy cos its the rc version
im was just gonna format that partition but im hoping it doesnt interfere with my booting properties...
wat wud u suggesT?

Why are you gonna get rid of it? It doesnt get released till Oct and that is the best build to use.

If you do get rid of it what OS are you going back to? It is easy to repair the boot of either XP or Vista just have to know which to give directions.

First page has been updated with some new info, updated info for the RC build and removed some info that was no longer needed.

Not a problem. Will add it to the first post for clarification.

Why are you gonna get rid of it? It doesnt get released till Oct and that is the best build to use.

If you do get rid of it what OS are you going back to? It is easy to repair the boot of either XP or Vista just have to know which to give directions.

First page has been updated with some new info, updated info for the RC build and removed some info that was no longer needed.

didnt u mention or isn't it mentioned that its gonna restart every 2 hours now???
im u sing xp right now

RC will not restart. That is the Beta. The RC will not expire till Aug 2010.

Just to clarify, the Beta is Build 7000, and the RC is Build 7100. The Beta (Build 7000) will be the one that restarts every 2 hours.

Back
Top Bottom