Windows 7 FAQ and Questions

Re: Windows 7 Thread and FAQ

That is the problem right there. Intel has said that they will not support anything lower than the 945 set. Which you have but they dont have the most recent set of drivers out for it yet. You may have to check the Intel Site. But until you get a dedicated GFX card, be happy that you can get Aero at all. Most onboard have issues with it.
Aero doesn't use all that much GPU power. It just needs the GPU to be at least DirectX 9.0 compliant.
Usually anything from ATI and Nvidia will be able to handle it.

Though IGP's from Intel, and especially Via and Sis do tend to be lacking (but you rarely see Via and Sis IGP's anymore)
You guessed it.. they will sit and force people to buy new ones.. unless M$ distributes one.. they have before for this card with Vista.. I know its not MS's responsability I just wish that the TV cards worked like GPU's as far as support goes.

thanks for listening ;) sorry for the complaint.. but this is how I ended up with 3 cards, first one worked with 98 and XP second one was supposed to work with Vista but it does not.. third one works with Vista and did with win 7 beta and the RC for a few days, now it gives Satin voices on 7 but works fine for Vista and XP

yes I have all three on this PC (XP,Vista and 7) in boot.. whats funny is Vista seems flawless these days.. a few more bugs than XP but I'd say it finally has been finished.. lol

now if they can work out the bugs a little quicker with 7.
I think 7 should have fewer bugs than Vista. It is running an improved version of the Vista kernel, whereas Vista's kernel is basically a rewrite after XP, so there was always going to be bugs to work out first.

Speaking of which, because Windows 7's kernel is built on Vista's, you should be able to use Vista drivers in it.
Just as you were able to use Windows 2000 drivers in XP a lot of the time (XP's kernel was built on 2000's kernel)

Do you get any kind of fps boost from going to win7 from vista? I saw an article somewhere on it but I don't remember the results.

I saw an article with test results that claimed that the RC isn't as fast as the beta, and is barely any faster than Vista. It claimed that whatever speed increases people experienced in the beta are mostly gone now.

I don't have experience with the beta, and I haven't done any tests, but I don't know if I really believe that article. Other than a bunch of lock-ups that forced me back to Vista, I thought 7 RC was pretty smooth and snappy. It was definitely faster at starting up and shutting down.

Just got around to installing this last night.

Pretty smooth sailing so far except i have problems with the ol'lady playing pogo games,Seems Win 7 really dosen't like shockwave and java so she has to keep clicking that compatibility thing for the browser.
I dont have any problems with Flash, Java or Shockwave. I have played a bunch of flash games, watched a ton of YouTube Videos and so on. Jsut make sure you have the latest.
Aero doesn't use all that much GPU power. It just needs the GPU to be at least DirectX 9.0 compliant.
Usually anything from ATI and Nvidia will be able to handle it.

Though IGP's from Intel, and especially Via and Sis do tend to be lacking (but you rarely see Via and Sis IGP's anymore)

Yes while this is true, it also calls for correct driver support. Intel has a page up somewhere on their site saying that they will not support any device older than the 845 series for Win7. I have seen it before during the Beta. I just have to find it again.

I got my graphics card working...I just re-installed the drivers once again and everything was fine. Strange.

Well, I am liking 7 alot. It seems much less weighted and more open, if that makes sense at all.

Meh, I'm used to not having quick launch anymore. The docks act as my QL icons, which are my most recent programs anyway, so it works for me.

That is the problem right there. Intel has said that they will not support anything lower than the 945 set. Which you have but they dont have the most recent set of drivers out for it yet. You may have to check the Intel Site. But until you get a dedicated GFX card, be happy that you can get Aero at all. Most onboard have issues with it.

Mak, Do you think this would work and solve my Aero problem. Open paint, use fill all option with the color I want, save it as a .jpg and use that as my background for my desktop?

What do you think?

thx

You shouldnt have to do that. There is a option to select Solid colors right in the drop down menu.

wallpaperoptions.png

that should allow you to keep Aero and select the background color you want. From what you say Aero will be disabled once you select a different wallpaper.

You can try what you suggested. But i cant find the default storage location for the Windows Wallpapers so i dont know if you can add it and still have Aero Working or not.

Start complaining to the manufacturer now so they can be working on the needed drivers. Win7 is very close to Vista so it shouldn't be too big of a stretch for them. Of course, thy may just sit on it so it will force people to buy new hardware...

I wouldn't be shocked at all of they did that... Creative did the same thing with their SoundBlaster drivers on Vista, and tried to force people onto their X-Fi cards.. and that just pushed some people back onto Turtlebeach or Auzentech

Back
Top Bottom