Windows 7 FAQ and Questions

Re: Windows 7 Fact Thread

I am loving Windows 7 with little problems, Only issue I have noticed so far is with Crysis warhead, only sometimes the mouse curser gets misaligned with what it's on, The curser is a good 3-4 inches off what is getting highlighted to be clicked, I switch to windowed mode and then back to full screen and then it seems to fix the issue most of the time, but this is the only program it seems to have this issue with. but it does it both in single play and multi play and they are both installed seperatly. Does not do this in XP, just Win 7 so I'm thinking it might be something to do with the game and how windows 7 runs. I'm going to miss 7 when the Beta is over and have to wait until release of the retail windows. Great OS so far and so much faster than XP.

Dauntae

I am loving Windows 7 with little problems, Only issue I have noticed so far is with Crysis warhead, only sometimes the mouse curser gets misaligned with what it's on, The curser is a good 3-4 inches off what is getting highlighted to be clicked, I switch to windowed mode and then back to full screen and then it seems to fix the issue most of the time, but this is the only program it seems to have this issue with. but it does it both in single play and multi play and they are both installed seperatly. Does not do this in XP, just Win 7 so I'm thinking it might be something to do with the game and how windows 7 runs. I'm going to miss 7 when the Beta is over and have to wait until release of the retail windows. Great OS so far and so much faster than XP.

Dauntae

that is a bug needed to be fixed in Crysis and Crysis Warhead. Trust me, i have both. Happens in Crysis Wars too.

question, is there a way to make the UAC in Vista now to know come up everytime i open programs i already said were safe to open?

I dont quite understand what you are asking. This is a Win7 thread. Not Vista.

Are you asking how to stop UAC prompts in Win7?

If so you can either turn it off but that will disable desktop icons, or you can try to run it as Admin.

I dont quite understand what you are asking. This is a Win7 thread. Not Vista.

Are you asking how to stop UAC prompts in Win7?

If so you can either turn it off but that will disable desktop icons, or you can try to run it as Admin.

well i mean like instead of turning off the UAC all together but make it so it would ask u once about opening something new and not asking about allowing that program to be opened again. Nvm then Vista can only turn it on and off, Windows 7 will have better control over UAC.

There is no option in Vista or Win7 to have the ask once option. I know this has been submitted to Microsoft for Win7. But no way to do it for either right now.

It does. It has been greatly refined. But there still is no option to have it prompt only once to allow a program thru and not ask again.

for those that are interested I installed the Win7 beta ati drivers and got 2fps more (48vs46) in the Farcry2 benchmark compared to the 8.12 Vista drivers.

Engineering the Windows 7 “Windows Experience Index”

The overall Windows Experience Index (WEI) is defined to be the lowest of the five top-level WEI subscores, where each subscore is computed using a set of rules and a suite of system assessment tests. The five areas scored in Windows 7 are the same as they were in Vista and include:
Processor
Memory (RAM)
Graphics (general desktop work)
Gaming Graphics (typically 3D)
Primary Hard Disk

Though the scoring areas are the same, the ranges have changed. In Vista, the WEI scores ranged from 1.0 to 5.9. In Windows 7, the range has been extended upward to 7.9. The scoring rules for devices have also changed from Vista to reflect experience and feedback comparing closely rated devices with differing quality of actual use (i.e. to make the rating more indicative of actual use.) We know during the beta some folks have noticed that the score changed (relative to Vista) for one or more components in their system and this tuning, which we will describe here, is responsible for the change.

For a given score range, we hope our customers will be able to utilize some general guidelines to help understand the experiences a particular PC can be expected to deliver well, relatively speaking. These Vista-era general guidelines for systems in the 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0 and 5.0 ranges still apply to Windows 7. But, as noted above, Windows 7 has added levels 6.0 and 7.0; meaning 7.9 is the maximum score possible. These new levels were designed to capture the rather substantial improvements we are seeing in key technologies as they enter the mainstream, such as solid state disks, multi-core processors, and higher end graphics adapters. Additionally, the amount of memory in a system is a determining factor.

For these new levels, we're working to add guidelines for each level. As an example for gaming users, we expect systems with gaming graphics scores in the 6.0 to 6.9 range to support DX10 graphics and deliver good frames rates at typical screen resolutions (like 40-50 frames per second at 1280x1024). In the range of 7.0 to 7.9, we would expect higher frame rates at even higher screen resolutions. Obviously, the specifics of each game have much to do with this and the WEI scores are also meant to help game developers decide how best to scale their experience on a given system. Graphics is an area where there is both the widest variety of scores readily available in hardwaren and also the widest breadth of expectations. The extremes at which CAD, HD video, photography, and gamers push graphics compared to the average business user or a consumer (doing many of these same things as an avocation rather than vocation) is significant.

Of course, adding new levels doesn't explain why a Vista system or component that used to score 4.0 or higher is now obtaining a score of 2.9. In most cases, large score drops will be due to the addition of some new disk tests in Windows 7 as that is where we've seen both interesting real world learning and substantial changes in the hardware landscape.

With respect to disk scores, as discussed in our recent post on Windows Performance, we've been developing a comprehensive performance feedback loop for quite some time. With that loop, we've been able to capture thousands of detailed traces covering periods of time where the computer's current user indicated an application, or Windows, was experiencing severe responsiveness problems. In analyzing these traces we saw a connection to disk I/O and we often found typical 4KB disk reads to take longer than expected, much, much longer in fact (10x to 30x). Instead of taking 10s of milliseconds to complete, we'd often find sequences where individual disk reads took many hundreds of milliseconds to finish. When sequences of these accumulate, higher level application responsiveness can suffer dramatically.

With the problem recognized, we synthesized many of the I/O sequences and undertook a large study on many, many disk drives, including solid state drives. While we did find a good number of drives to be excellent, we unfortunately also found many to have significant challenges under this type of load, which based on telemetry is rather common. In particular, we found the first generation of solid state drives to be broadly challenged when confronted with these commonly seen client I/O sequences.

Source

Back
Top Bottom