Windows 7 FAQ and Questions

Re: Windows 7 Fact Thread

It's cool the desktop will support DX10.1.

So far it looks like I'll be upgrading when 7 comes out.

how will windows 7 display running programs that aren't already in the taskbar?

The new taskbar will display quick launch and running programs in the same place therefore quick launch programs that are not running will not have a thumbnail and those who are running will not be displayed twice no matter the number of tabs or folders...

The new taskbar will display quick launch and running programs in the same place therefore quick launch programs that are not running will not have a thumbnail and those who are running will not be displayed twice no matter the number of tabs or folders...

:confused:

I dont see anywhere in the pictures from teh PDC build or the build i am running that backs up that statement.

win7_m3_ms_05.jpg

I see the quick launch on the left and the task bar, which is redesigned on the right.

That is from the build at PDC.

That is taken right from my review i posted up here. Again taskbar on teh right. Quick launch on the left. No where are they displayed in the same place. The new taskbar as i pointed out in my review shows only certain icons which you control.

When you click customize you are presented with options. To show only notifications, to hide or to always show. You choose what you want shown at any given time. When you click the up arrow you will see hte other apps that are set to only show notifications for.

They are never together and never duplicated.

hey Mak, thats a sexy wallpaper :)

windows 7 already huh?
Vista feels short lived compared to XP.

Yeah already testing Win7. Vista was shortlived. At least compared to XP. XP is the longest runnig Windows ever. It has been 6 years between releases. The longest ever.

Win 95, Win 98, Win ME, Win 2000, Win XP and finally in 07 Win Vista. In 09 or 10 there will be Win7. As you see each OS had about a year or 2 between them. Maybe 3. As Win 98 was released at the end of 97.

But yeah i am energized for this. Having fun crashing it every couple of days.

hey Mak, thats a sexy wallpaper :)

Where did you get a nice Windows 7 wallpaper!? The default blue one is pretty nice though, been using it on my Vista laptop as well, though I wish it had the Windows logo on it. Maybe I'll gimp it in (don't have Photoshop :'( ) or something.

Only thing that I don't like that much is the new Windows Media Player. It feels like it's probably really early in development (to be expected) but that's not what bothers me, it's the minimalist UI that they're trying to make it into. I hate minimalist designs, I need tabs and buttons and sliders on my apps, without them, apps feel less functional and not as good. I don't like the idea that Now Playing goes into a totally different looking window with no menus or anything, I like the tried-and-true tabs at the top (Now Playing, Library, etc) and really would hate to see it go. As a fairly big WMP user (I use VLC sometimes, but I always though WMP was a good player), I'd hate to see the UI get ripped apart. However, maybe the UI isn't implemented or maybe they were just experimenting with a possible design, so I'm OK for now. When Beta hits, however, I would like to see a Now Playing that is more integrated with the library (aka...basically how WMP 11 does it, but maybe a new look).

Also, New visualizations that take advantage of DirectX (and, if supported by the PC, DirectX 10/11) would be nice :D

Yeah already testing Win7. Vista was shortlived. At least compared to XP. XP is the longest runnig Windows ever. It has been 6 years between releases. The longest ever.

Win 95, Win 98, Win ME, Win 2000, Win XP and finally in 07 Win Vista. In 09 or 10 there will be Win7. As you see each OS had about a year or 2 between them. Maybe 3. As Win 98 was released at the end of 97.

But yeah i am energized for this. Having fun crashing it every couple of days.

but i love Vista. No reason to upgrade to 7 unless there is a gonna be a huge dramatic performance with current hardware compared to Vista, ask Microsoft recently stated that it will be more hardware compatible but that is a load of talk, actions speak loader then words. Plus, DX11 is coming to Vista, a big reason why i dont want to upgrade to Windows 7.

VISTA FTW!!!! Never going back to XP ever!.........now if only the printer driver would work properly, that is the question

ask Microsoft recently stated that it will be more hardware compatible but that is a load of talk, actions speak loader then words. Plus, DX11 is coming to Vista, a big reason why i dont want to upgrade to Windows 7.

This is a PRE-BETA. When Vista was in Pre-Beta you couldnt even run it for 2 days straight. To compared Win7 now to Vista would be like compaing Win 95 to Win Xp in terms of stability. You cant. One is a final product that has been tested throughly and been out for almost 2 years now with SP2 in testing.

The other just hits its 3rd stage of Pre-Beta testing with code optimization and new features added.

They can not be compared. To say that Win7 will not offer anything new over Vista is bunk cause we DO NOT know what Win7 final will have even BEFORE it hits Beta.

This is a PRE-BETA. When Vista was in Pre-Beta you couldnt even run it for 2 days straight. To compared Win7 now to Vista would be like compaing Win 95 to Win Xp in terms of stability. You cant. One is a final product that has been tested throughly and been out for almost 2 years now with SP2 in testing.

The other just hits its 3rd stage of Pre-Beta testing with code optimization and new features added.

They can not be compared. To say that Win7 will not offer anything new over Vista is bunk cause we DO NOT know what Win7 final will have even BEFORE it hits Beta.

alright alright, my bad for jumping to conclusions, im just stating what i feel about Windows 7 right now is all in terms of upgrading.

Back
Top Bottom