Windows 7 FAQ and Questions

Re: Windows 7 Fact Thread

I just hope that it;s not going to require us all to go out and buy all new computers just to run all it's features like vista did.

I just hope that it;s not going to require us all to go out and buy all new computers just to run all it's features like vista did.

Thats funny. I am still running it on the same machine i had XP on. I didnt buy a new machine and it runs fine for me. Guess that statement is just as funny as the headline. :laughing:

When I upgraded my old computer to vista it just got all slow, everything in vista worked but it was just slow at gaming and videos didn't play very smoothly. I just hope if I upgrade my current computer that won't happen.

Must not have tried SP1...

Here is something interesting. They said that Aero wasnt on the build given out. Yet i see Aero...

I guess I didn't have much luck with vista on the old rig since I got it 3 days after launch and the bugs weren't worked out but that's my tradition though, getting new versions of windows within the first week of launch.

edit: Mak, is that pic of the most recent build of win7. It doesn't have the new taskbar.

I guess I didn't have much luck with vista on the old rig since I got it 3 days after launch and the bugs weren't worked out but that's my tradition though, getting new versions of windows within the first week of launch.

edit: Mak, is that pic of the most recent build of win7. It doesn't have the new taskbar.
Windows 7 will use the same requirements that Vista requires. Since you say Vista doesn't run smoothly on your machine, neither will Windows 7.

Microsoft to unveil test version of Windows 7 - CNN.com

I know... more CNN threads.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f37/windows-7-milestone-3-build-6801-review-189273/

Meh. CNN didnt give any info that wasnt already known. At least not those of us who have been following the Engineering Windows 7 Blog. ;)

Mikee,

This is the build given out at the PDC. This is not the most recently build. The one they previewed at the PDC was Build 6933. The one they gave out was Build 6801. Build 6933 was a internal build and is not slated for release. Build 6801 is the one given to the people at PDC adn the first round fo Testers which i am on.

That is why my taskbar looks different. I have a older build than the one displayed.

Windows 7 Tidbits

The last days have been filled with news posts about Windows 7. Everyone posted news about the upcoming operating system and it was quite hard to keep an overview of the things that came to light during the PDC 08 convention. That convention is over now and it is time to lean back and take a look at some of the news that came to light.
One of the main announcements was the new Windows 7 taskbar - superbar as some called it - which added a new level of interactivity to the operating system. Users will have to get used to it because of the combination of static and dynamic items that can now be placed in it. Check out the article at Windows 7 News for a complete Windows 7 Taskbar rundown. One aspect that Microsoft left unchanged is the position of the Start button which still cannot be changed.
Windows 7 boot time was another hot topic. Steven Sinofsky mentioned changes to Windows Services in a Q&A session which reduced the Windows 7 boot time. Services could be set to automatic, manual or disabled in previous versions of Windows. Windows 7 services can also be event related. If x starts run service y. This made it possible to delay the start of several services so that they are not started during boot time.
The User Account Control gets more options. It can be configured using a slider. By default administrators will see less UAC prompts. Standard actions like changing settings in the Control Panel will not display an UAC prompt anymore. It basically can be said that Microsoft optimized UAC quite a bit to make it less annoying to the user.
The Windows 7 Desktop will make use of DirectX 10.1 if the video card supports it. This cuts down memory usage in the graphics system of the Windows 7 Desktop Windows Manager by 50%.
Did you see anything that impressed you? Share your thoughts.

I've watched the presentation and found some features worthwile for upgrading, what i like the most is that it will have the same requirements as vista...

New taskbar
52_full_Windows%20Taskbar%20Previews.png

Sidebar R.I.P, gadgets are freely placed on desktop without the need of a sidebar.
Desktop%20Gadgets.jpg

New paint and calc interface, didn't see that coming ^^ (maybe useless but ok)
244240.png

Short Video with the brand new touch features : YouTube - Windows 7 Touch and Gestures
Full 2 and a half hour Presentation video : 300K 750K
Source : Insomnia.gr

how will windows 7 display running programs that aren't already in the taskbar?

Back
Top Bottom