Windows 7 is failing to start

Status
Not open for further replies.

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hi all!

Windows suddenly failed to start on my wife's computer. I tried a number of solutions, none of which seemed to work. I decided to reformat the drive and then reinstall Windows 7 again. After the reinstall, I am receiving the same message. I am not sure what to do now.

Can anyone here help me please?

Is it a hardware issue? Shall I try different RAM?

I set the BIOS for factory settings, and still no go.

I have a sneaky suspicion it might be the motherboard, but I am not sure and also I do not know how to run any tests on it.

Can someone help me know where to start please?

Thanks,

Soar

Hi all!

Windows suddenly failed to start on my wife's computer. I tried a number of solutions, none of which seemed to work. I decided to reformat the drive and then reinstall Windows 7 again. After the reinstall, I am receiving the same message. I am not sure what to do now.

Can anyone here help me please?

Is it a hardware issue? Shall I try different RAM?

I set the BIOS for factory settings, and still no go.

I have a sneaky suspicion it might be the motherboard, but I am not sure and also I do not know how to run any tests on it.

Can someone help me know where to start please?

Thanks,

Soar
What's the message you're receiving?

We need to know the error message and what you've tried for troubleshooting.

Lex, thank you for asking!

When I attempt to start the computer, Windows says:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.

1. Please insert your installation disc and start repair

2.Choose language

3.Click repair

Special Note: I already tried the repair with my installation disc and still a no go [I ran Gparted to erase everything from the HD before I did the reinstall...]

Ok, can I provide any other information for you that might be helpful?

Here are the components I used to build this rig:

Intel Q6600 Processor
GA-EP43-DS3L (rev. 1.0)
Crucial Ballistix 800 MHz 2 x 2 = 4GB
Ator Super Charge AP-700SC
WD 320 GB HD [OS is here]
WD 500 GB HD
Maxtor 1000 GB
ASUS 9600 GSO
Thermatake M9 Case
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Lian-Li Bezel Thermometer Gauge
Sunbeam Core-Contact Freezer 120mm CPU Cooler

This rig was working flawlessly for some months. I did install Gigabyte's new version of Easy Tune 6, and immediately afterward I received the Windows not able to start message. I never did use Easy Tune 6...

What shall I do next?

I tried a reinstall, and CMOS clear. That is all I have tried so far...

Soar

Hey again, your best bet is to remove gigbytes easytune 6 software.
2 years ago when I was using a LGA 775 gigabyte mobo and using a trial of vista I had installed easytune 4.5 from gigabyte.
It was nothing but a total nightmare to get rid of even to this latest software they have currently.
What you need to do is call gigabyte and see if they have any removal tools for that software or find a program that can start to get rid of it including it's registry's.
I recommend you try ccleaner to uninstall it first and use a trial base software of system mechanic 9.
Don't worry about system mechanic though it will do it's job just fine to whatever repairs it suggests and will try to do on it's own.

Hey again, your best bet is to remove gigbytes easytune 6 software.
2 years ago when I was using a LGA 775 gigabyte mobo and using a trial of vista I had installed easytune 4.5 from gigabyte.
It was nothing but a total nightmare to get rid of even to this latest software they have currently.
What you need to do is call gigabyte and see if they have any removal tools for that software or find a program that can start to get rid of it including it's registry's.
I recommend you try ccleaner to uninstall it first and use a trial base software of system mechanic 9.
Don't worry about system mechanic though it will do it's job just fine to whatever repairs it suggests and will try to do on it's own.

Mike,

I already reformatted and reinstalled Windows 7 and I am still receiving the same message: "Windows cannot start..."

I also cleared the CMOS just in case the Easy Tune 6 messed anything up there....

I think all the registry values go back to normal on a reinstall?

What else could be the problem?

Soar

If everything works perfectly fine right up until you do XYZ, then isn't it logical to think that XYZ is the cause of the problem?

If everything works perfectly fine right up until you do XYZ, then isn't it logical to think that XYZ is the cause of the problem?
Well he did stated that the "XYZ" was installing the Easy Tune, and he also stated he reformatted and reinstalled which would normally eliminate the problem of hardware changes as it supposed to read as a clean install.

Ok try this and lets see what windows 7 is saying:

go to start, type in error in the space bar box, it will bring up a list.
Click on view history and reliability and take a screen shot and post here so that we can really see whats going on.
That way we can have a better understanding of where the problem is originating from.

Ok try this and lets see what windows 7 is saying:

go to start, type in error in the space bar box, it will bring up a list.
Click on view history and reliability and take a screen shot and post here so that we can really see whats going on.
That way we can have a better understanding of where the problem is originating from.
Don't think he can boot to Windows in order to follow the steps you gave as in the first post he stated "Windows suddenly failed to start on my wife's computer". What he can do however is try to boot in safe mode and follow your steps, if he could reach that far though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom