Windows 7 download anyone?

Many thanks for help fellas. I realise that this is probably pretty basic for you chaps, but how do I

a. Check I've deleted windows?
b. Check for a hard drive partition?

I have entered the boot options but am not really sure about navigating round and can't see any reference to window.

Once I've gotten windows 7, am I able to partition the drive and install using lubuntu.

Many thanks again,

M

Many thanks for help fellas. I realise that this is probably pretty basic for you chaps, but how do I

a. Check I've deleted windows?
b. Check for a hard drive partition?

I have entered the boot options but am not really sure about navigating round and can't see any reference to window.

Once I've gotten windows 7, am I able to partition the drive and install using lubuntu.

Many thanks again,

M

What brand of laptop is it?

Are we to assume when someone asks for a download they are using an illegal key?

I could easily see how it would be wrong if the OP asked for a key, provided a link to get keys or stated he was using an illegal key.

We are not to assume that, but there is no way to prove it either. It is your classic catch 22. What we are to do is exactly what Hefe did. Post a guide that provides the links. But since there is no way to prove that the key is legit, there is also no way to tell me that it isn't either. I can tell you that I am king of the internet, you couldn't prove me wrong just like I couldn't prove it right. It is nothing more than a bunch of text.

I don't think this is worth having a long debate over. It has always been a hot topic. If the Mods deem that having a copy of windows and a legal key is not legal then who are we to argue. All I know is if you have a copy of Windows 7 Home for instance and you use the key on the side of your tower or laptop that is windows 7 Home it will pass as legal when you call Microsoft.
I have to do this many times when peoples hardware fail due to the bad practice of distributors not sending desktops and laptops with a OS disk any more. That should be illegal in my book. But I will say no more on this topic and I'm not one who like to debate...

There isn't a long debate. It is very simple. As a Mod and Staff member I am telling you exactly how it is going to play out. Give the links to Digital River or the site Hefe did. Nothing else. No links to Torrents or further discussion is needed.

I have proved and can continue to prove how my statements are correct and fall not only within the Law of the USA where Microsoft is located but where the site is located and operated from. Since that is the case, we will abide by said laws and do exactly what we must in order to stay within them and the site rules.

I don't care what you do with your stuff. You want to break the law and take the chance, fine. But you will not put this site at risk or its members cause you don't think anything will happen. That is not how we operate. Is that clear enough to end all debate on the matter? It is very clear what the stance is by Microsoft on this as they have it spelled out in their EULA, TOS and many other places. They are the boss when it comes to the matter and we will do exactly what they dictate we can.

Thank you for your co-operation in the matter. :)

Yevrag35

Yevrag35,

It's a HP Pavillion laptop.

As I said earlier, I installed lubuntu but being fat fingered, I don't think it went to play. I was trying to partition the windows HD to run lubuntu on one side and windows the other. First time trying and it went awry.

When I boot, the only option that I can see is lubuntu.

As I've just installed it, I'm not very familiar with it.

Is there a way to check if there is a partition?

I don't have a great deal I'm sad about losing on the windows, however there is a VCE program I wouldn't like to lose and a couple of other things.

Is there a way to recover files? I have read some advice involving downloading various software to do it.

Many thanks for your help,

M

Yevrag35

Yevrag35,

It's a HP Pavillion laptop.

As I said earlier, I installed lubuntu but being fat fingered, I don't think it went to play. I was trying to partition the windows HD to run lubuntu on one side and windows the other. First time trying and it went awry.

When I boot, the only option that I can see is lubuntu.

As I've just installed it, I'm not very familiar with it.

Is there a way to check if there is a partition?

I don't have a great deal I'm sad about losing on the windows, however there is a VCE program I wouldn't like to lose and a couple of other things.

Is there a way to recover files? I have read some advice involving downloading various software to do it.

Many thanks for your help,

M

Anytime you decide to edit, mess-with, or supersede your windows installation, it's always a good idea to make a backup just in case (even if you've done it a hundred times before with no problems, software can be very unpredictable).

If you didn't completely format your hard drive, the recovery partition should still be intact.
When you see the HP screen, right when you turn on the laptop, press the "F11" key (you can press it a couple of times to make sure it registers).

If it still exists, the laptop will start loading the partition, like so.
windows_loading.gif

If you do get past that screen above, there are recovery tools available to check whether or not your windows installation is gone (which is most likely).

Just let us know if you get even get this far.

Last edited:
Many thanks for your help, however I think I've stepped over the line. Lesson learned! The PC either starts loading for an age or boots straight into lubuntu. Either or I guess it's a no win.

Hey-ho.

Many, many thanks for your help....well, Yevrag35!

I shall no doubt be on here again at some point asking another inane question!

I have downloaded the windows 7 files and began to install from DVD. Something went wrong and now all I can see is a grub rescue prompt.

I've had a search online but can't seem to find any commands that work.

What on earth do I do from here?

It is worth just buying windows 7 again to fully install on the system or am I stuck with the grub rescue until I resolve it?

many thanks in advance for any help,

ML

I have downloaded the windows 7 files and began to install from DVD. Something went wrong and now all I can see is a grub rescue prompt.

I've had a search online but can't seem to find any commands that work.

What on earth do I do from here?

It is worth just buying windows 7 again to fully install on the system or am I stuck with the grub rescue until I resolve it?

many thanks in advance for any help,

ML

If you're going to go full windows again, i'd reformat your hard drive.
When you boot from the windows dvd, instead of clicking the "install now" button click the "repair your computer" buttton *refer to attached picture*.

Next in the "system recovery options" window, wait for it detect (or in your case not detect) the windows installation. Make sure you have the first option chosen and click "next" (again picture below for reference).

In the next window, choose the "command prompt" option, which will open up a cmd line window. Follow these instructions to reformat your hard drive:
1. type in "diskpart"
-this will load the diskpart application in command prompt.
2. diskpart> list disk
- this will show all connected storage drives on your computer. Look for the one that relatively cooresponds with your hard drive size (i.e. 250gb=~230gb, etc.)
3. diskpart> select disk #
- #=your hard drive disk number
4. diskpart> clean
- this will wipe your hard drive clean.
5. diskpart> create partition primary
- this creates the primary partition on the hard drive.
6. diskpart> active
- this makes the partition bootable.
7. diskpart> format fs=ntfs quick
- this formats the hard drive so the OS can be loaded on it.
8. diskpart> assign letter=C
- this gives your hard drive the drive C:
9. diskpart> exit
- you're done.

Close the command prompt windows and close out the windows until you get back to the "install now" page. You should be able to install windows normally now.

Do this before buying anything first!

Last edited:
Yevrag35,

Many thanks for the step by step guide, worked perfectly!

I shall be a little more careful when trying new things next time.

Thanks again,

ML

Back
Top Bottom