Windows 7 on Domain Network - Logging in as local user without the computer name?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious, why do you need to logon with a local admin account on a domain enviroment?

Dozens of reasons. But right now (today) I'm trying to do a new computer setup that somebody else half-completed, and they're out today. So I'm trying to work on it and get it up to speed. Since I didn't name the computer originally I had no idea what they named it to log in locally and get it running. I had forgotten what the system was to log in but lucky page 2 of TF search brought this thread back up. Annnnnd back to work...

Bob there are a lot of reasons, i have to use it at my job all the time. For the most part to install software because we've disabled that function for standard users for security reasons.

Bob there are a lot of reasons, i have to use it at my job all the time. For the most part to install software because we've disabled that function for standard users for security reasons.

Not sure if it'll help you, but what we did was added the IT department's domain accounts to "System Techs" group, and applied it so System Techs = administrators of every system. So I can install software in my domain account, which is nice. But we still have our uses for local accounts. I do most of my maintenance work in them, for example.

Ya it's how you setup the account in AD and if you add your account the the correct admin group.

We can right click items and 'run as' then put in our administrator credentials but if i have the opportunity I usually use a local admin account - usually causes less fuss.

Had to use this tip just last week. We got 12 laptops where I work, and they were partially setup for us already. I had to put them on the domain however, and give the domain user administrative privileges. Wasn't sure what the computer was named when I had to go back and forth, but this worked perfectly (was a lot shorter than typing in the long computer name that I had to give them after I did set it up as well).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom