Windows 7 on Domain Network - Logging in as local user without the computer name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
I often have to log in to the local administrator account on our machines here at work. We also have a ton of computers, so for me to happen to know the computer name is quite a pain. What's also quite a pain is having to type in the computer name\administrator to log in as the local administrator account. Is there any way to bypass so I can log in like, do I dare say, the way XP does it?

AFAIK, there is no way to do it like XP does. Have you tried asking on the TechNET Site? These people make my knowledge of Windows look like i am a beginner.

Have you tried to just type administrator and its password? all the win 7 pcs i have all will logon to the local admin account unless you specify the domain. Unless you have some GPO setting that changes that it is default. It should show you below the username what you are logging into as your typing.

Have you tried to just type administrator and its password? all the win 7 pcs i have all will logon to the local admin account unless you specify the domain. Unless you have some GPO setting that changes that it is default. It should show you below the username what you are logging into as your typing.

I did try that, and it didn't fly because it didn't know where I was trying to log into. It's quite honestly an absolute pain in the ***, because I have no clue what the computer name is of the system I'm working on.

These people make my knowledge of Windows look like i am a beginner.

Clearly this is sarcasm. :p

Actually it isnt sarcasm Jayce. The people on the TechNET forums have much more knowledge and more geared toward what your looking for.

Actually it isnt sarcasm Jayce. The people on the TechNET forums have much more knowledge and more geared toward what your looking for.

If you say so, man. Just trying to indirectly compliment you since you certainly seem to know your stuff when it comes to the MS platform. ;)

I understand mate. But honestly these people on those sites know much more when it comes to things such as this. When it comes to Corporate things like the Roaming Profiles and all that stuff. I am great when it comes to end user stuff like home users, but i lack the knowledge that they have on the corporate level. So i thank you for the complement, but i know that i cant hold a candle to some of those guys.

Solution found.

If you use:
Code:
.\Administrator
at the login screen, it'll log you in locally. Administrator being whatever your local account is you want to log into.

One of the major Windows 7 annoyances I have has been solved. Better late than never!

Thanks for the info, Jayce. I'll need to remember that one... going to be working with some Windows 7 domain computers that I need to use local accounts as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom