Windows 7 Disk Defragmenter doesn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

bagelred

In Runtime
I don't think my Disk Defragmenter in Windows 7 has ever worked. Not that I can remember. I've been using Auslogics and Smart Defrag instead.

When I click to DeFrag my hard drive, I get this message:

4smes0.jpg

So when I click on Task Scheduler, I get this message:

awxmpl.jpg

So I click OK...then.....nothing...Task Scheduler doesn't show anything and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do. Doesn't seem the Task Scheduler is reading anyting......

Anyone? Shouldn't Disk Defrag just work?

FYI, Acer Aspire Desktop, 4 GB RAM, 650 GB HD, with Windows 7 Premium. This is NOT an upgrade from Vista. Windows 7 was installed on this computer. About a year old now.

Thanks for help.

Go to STart > and type in "services.msc" (without the quotes) > and run the Services program that comes up. Find "Task Scheduler" in the list. Double click it to bring up the properties window and post a screenshot.

Go to STart > and type in "services.msc" (without the quotes) > and run the Services program that comes up. Find "Task Scheduler" in the list. Double click it to bring up the properties window and post a screenshot.

OK here it is:

x58dpz.png

Strange that its Stopped. So I started it. And DeFrag appears to work now. Still don't understand why Task Scheduler needs to be on to run DeFrag...but oh well. Thanks.

Yes Start the service and see if that fixes the issue. If it does, go back into this same area and set it to automatic not manual.

Yes Start the service and see if that fixes the issue. If it does, go back into this same area and set it to automatic not manual.

Yes, Defragmenter does work when I Start the service. However, it's not letting me switch the Scheduler from "Manual" to anything else. It's greyed out. Additionally, once i Start the service, system is not allowing me to Stop it or do anything else either. You can see if greyed out in picture below:

282q3rn.png

When I restart the computer, I have to Start the Task Scheduler manually again in order to run Defragmenter. Scheduler is not turning on automatically.

Thoughts?

hello i get a problem when trying too start the task Scheduler heres a Screenshot

i dont know howi copy in a picture but i uploded it here so take a look and please help :)
Imageshack - defragmenterror.jpg

the error is
can not start the Task Scheduler on the local computer.
error 1068: a sub-service or group that is dependent on, could not start

please help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom