Windows 7 digital download?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got off the phone with some stupid lady on microsoft support, she said you cant upgrade from xp to win 7. How do I make my download an ISO image? I tried your link ABooth22 and downloaded the USB tool, but it gives me an error. I do have the microsoft USB tool installed, but dont have an ISO image of my $30 download. How do I make that an ISO?

If you read any part of the FAQ thread, you would have seen that it was known back in July that you could not upgrade from XP to Win7. I posted that information that long ago.

Also you could never go from 32 Bit to 64 Bit. So simply put, if those are your condition, you are SOL. You are going to have to use the steps mentioned on various sites to do a full clean install of Win7 using the Upgrade Media. Nothing else you can do.

I am trying this right now, in the command prompt I get this message "ERROR: Could not open boot sector file "C:\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com"
Error 3: The system cannot find the patch specified.

Ok, I successfully have it as an ISO bootable on my flash drive. I switched my boot options so it will boot from removable, but it just started windows normally. Any help? thanks!

Are you sure that your system can Boot from USB??? Do you have USB set to boot before the hard drive?

yes, it goes Removable, then hard disk, then nothing for the other 2.
I dont see an actually ISO file, but I do see a bunch of files on the USB, and when I go to start>computer, it shows a windows install icon, so it looks like it is the right ifle. Is this right?

these are the contents of my flash drive after following the tutorial. is this right?

win7.jpg

Braz, I highly doubt you're going to be able to boot Win7 from USB yet. The only option I could give you is to download pebuilder, and find a tutorial online about creating a boot file for the OS through that program. You also have to download a USB boot file creator to make sure your flash drive is in fact bootable. Burning the .iso file of Win7 onto a DVD is your best option and worked flawlessly for me. Booting from a flash drive isn't quite reliable enough to use it yet in my opinion. I couldn't even get a flash drive to boot WinXP, and that was supposed to be easy.

And yes the contents of that flash drive are correct. BUT, since you have it all on your flash drive you'll need to enter the command
oscdimg.exe -u2 -b"E:\boot\etfsboot.com" -h "E:\" C:\WIN7.ISO
That is if you DON'T have all those files in the expandedSetup folder.
If you do have the files in the expandedSetup folder on your flash drive you'll enter
oscdimg.exe -u2 -b"E:\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com" -h "E:\expandedSetup" C:\WIN7.ISO

That'll put the .iso file in your c: drive after it's done creating it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom