Windows 7 Cannot Update

If you have DSL and there is only a single box connected to the phone cord, then you will not be able to bypass the router as it is a router/modem combo (aka gateway). Chances are that you own that gateway and the only way to test will be to purchase another gateway and get it setup and connected.

Is this the same gateway from when you live at the other location? Or is it new?

Well the gateway was installed when we arrived here, to fix the pitiful mess of wires that were hanging there in it's place. Other than that I think we only have had a router as actual our box to use. What makes this odd is that this is a router we've had for a while and used somewhere else before hopping around to different providers for a while. So unless the router got all funky or an old setting is restricting my machines I really can't account for why it would behave like this.

& i2D__

The router did go through it's reset phase, but I'm not so sure it's necessarily the hardware that's gone wrong. Kinda at my whit's end with this thing.

Try a clean boot then try the updates again, clean boot guide https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/929135

Iooking at my notes I had this issue the other week with a new build but I done a fresh install which worked as nothing else I tired worked... I should of done a clean boot first.

update: also check with your ISP if there is an outage in the area..

Last edited:
Alright, so I've tried reloading the drivers (though it already says they were up to date?).

If you're checking for updates to your network card though Device Manager's "Check for updates", don't do that. You'll want to find the manufacturer and model # of the ethernet controller and find the drivers directly from them for the OS rather than from Microsoft.

Did your router actually reset or not?

Are you asking him to power-cycle it? Or factory reset it? Keep in mind if he factory resets the device, he'll have to know the network password to set it up again. I'm not certain with CenturyLink, but I know with AT&T it's not a user made up password anymore so if you don't have it then you have to call AT&T to get it. Huge pain in the butt. Sometimes easier just to replace the unit.

How long have you had this thing? Is it the same one from the last place you were at or did you get a new one when you moved?

The original password which you use to set up the router should have come in letter format when he first joined their package. If he has online billing, then the chances are, the password is also online.

The router's default username and password are sometimes on the bottom of the router, but more often than not should be in the manual (or on the internet if you google it) - Please note that if you reset the router and need to search the internet for the password, you'll need to use mobile data on your phone or something as you obviously won't be able to connect to the internet using the router...

The router's default username and password are sometimes on the bottom of the router, but more often than not should be in the manual (or on the internet if you google it) - Please note that if you reset the router and need to search the internet for the password, you'll need to use mobile data on your phone or something as you obviously won't be able to connect to the internet using the router...

This... plan ahead!

The original password which you use to set up the router should have come in letter format when he first joined their package. If he has online billing, then the chances are, the password is also online.

The password to connect to the DSL service is what I was referring to (the PPPOE information). AT&T, for instance, is a 6 character network password that is 3 letters and 3 numbers (in that order, if I remember correctly) and if you don't have it written down from initial setup, you have to call them to get it. This is NOT the same as the password for the router's interface, nor is it the same as the WiFi password. Make sure you have everything you need before you factory reset!

Are you asking him to power-cycle it? Or factory reset it? Keep in mind if he factory resets the device, he'll have to know the network password to set it up again. I'm not certain with CenturyLink, but I know with AT&T it's not a user made up password anymore so if you don't have it then you have to call AT&T to get it. Huge pain in the butt. Sometimes easier just to replace the unit.

How long have you had this thing? Is it the same one from the last place you were at or did you get a new one when you moved?

It's the same one I had before I moved. Also the good thing is if there's any resets in order, all the password/network info they could provide is on the bottom of the unit. Though I'm not entirely sure what a full factory reset might entail, (besides the actual reset button) here is the actual router that I'm using...

41cf%2B-MngXL.jpg

I may try this clean boot theory and completely redo the drivers as well. I think what happened is that even after uninstalling the old ones, they just reinstalled on reboot. What I had a harder time with was being sure I was getting the right driver for the specific one I was uninstalling. I was just trying to read off the info right out of the device manager window but the internet sources for where to download were sorta hit and miss.

I may try this clean boot theory and completely redo the drivers as well. I think what happened is that even after uninstalling the old ones, they just reinstalled on reboot. What I had a harder time with was being sure I was getting the right driver for the specific one I was uninstalling. I was just trying to read off the info right out of the device manager window but the internet sources for where to download were sorta hit and miss.

Post the brand/model of the ethernet adapter and we can help you find the newest driver.

The very first thing I want to know is this:
When you're having those issues, what are your "DSL" and "Internet" lights doing on the front of that thing? Your DSL light should be solid and green. If it's not, then the modem has lost it's connection to CenturyLink. The Internet light should also be either a solid green, or randomly fast flashing green light... if it's off or steady flashing, then it has lost it's connection from CenturyLink.

Make those observations before we go any further.

Okay so with more investigation I think it's a combination of lousy internet and issues with the networking on this unit (which also happens to be my most expensive one of the bunch).

Going with MidnightShadow's advice and I checked out how the router's signals were on the front panel. It all looks normal. All green, with internet and wifi flickering at random intervals.

The annoying part that took a bit longer was getting network adapter info from this machine. I have a screenshot of the whole list (with hidden available) but I can't seem to upload it or attach it to my posts (another wonderful side effect of this issue). So I'll just have to go with reading off what I see beneath Network adapters in the Device Manager.

Code:
[B]Network adapters[/B]

Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
     Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI)
     Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection
     Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
     Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2
     Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #3
     Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter
     RAS Async Adapter
     Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
     WAN Miniport (IKEv2)
     WAN Miniport (IP)
     WAN Miniport (IPv6)
     WAN Miniport (L2TP)
     WAN Miniport (Network Monitor)
     WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
     WAN Miniport (PPTP)
     WAN Miniport (SSTP)

That's all the hidden stuff pulled up too. Nothing seems to show any error markings on the icons (besides Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter) which I fixed. If you guys wanna know anything else, just tell me what to look for. I'm really no good at any of this Networking stuff so.

Back
Top Bottom