Windows 7 Beta Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pezzy

In Runtime
Hi all.

I downloaded the new Windows 7 Beta and burned it onto a DVD. I saw the "warnings" from Microsoft not to install it on your primary computer since it's still in the beta stage and things could go "wrong".

I have a spare SATA hard drive lying around, so I disconnected the power cable and connector cable to my current SATA hard drive and hooked it up to the spare SATA. I then booted into BIOS and changed the boot priority to DVD ROM drive first, then HDD. The Windows 7 Beta DVD booted fine and went through some "setup" procedures, and I even saw the new Windows logo on-screen.

It then asked if I wanted to do an Upgrade install or a new "fresh" one, and at first I chose Upgrade, but then it said to start the system with the current OS on it and THEN upgrade. Well, that spare HDD I have has Win XP Pro on it, but not from the current system I have now. This installation of XP Pro on it is from a different motherboard, so I couldn't just boot from this HDD; it wouldn't 'recognize" my system (besides a new motherboard, there's all sorts of new parts; processor, graphics card, etc.).

So I then instead chose a "fresh" new install, but I keep getting a message that it does not detect a hard drive connected to the system (and I even checked to make sure the power connector to the SATA HDD and the cable that connects it to the motherboard were all firmly "clicked" into place). It won't even let me format. It mentions something about drivers, so, I thought I'd use the "Lifeguard" tools CD that came with this Western Digital SATA HDD, but that doesn't work either.

Anybody have any idea why I can't even install this Windows Beta onto my SATA HDD? And in case you're going to ask, no, I don't have to HDD's hooked up at once; just the one, the "spare" one that I have.

Thanks for any suggestions or info.
Pez

Most likely need the SATA/RAID drivers from your motherboard manufacturer's site.

Most likely need the SATA/RAID drivers from your motherboard manufacturer's site.

It could be a Jumper on the back of your drive? it could be other boot priority settings in your bios, or the drive may be corrupt.

try setting it up as a second HDD and see if you can get windows to help fix it or recognize it so you can format it.

There are no jumpers on SATA hard drives.

ok, so thats not it ;) never caught that one.. guess thats why I never had to set them..all my drives up until a year ago have been IDE so guess thats why I haven't noticed yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom