Windows 7 auto loading drivers: driving me nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

OTHG_ChefTreb

Baseband Member
Hello wise helpful people. I recently upgraded my VGA to a GTX 560Ti. I knew it came with high def audio when I bought it, but dont need to use it because I have a Xonar DX soundgard.
The problem is this. In device manager I uninstall four instances of High Definition Audio device, no problem. But when I reboot windows automatically reloads these drivers. Yes I can simply disable them but I really dont want them there at all.
I have the option to not let windows update to load drivers turned off and thought that would fix the problem which it did for not auto loading the last VGA driver everytime I want to change or update it.
I have googled this very question and found the above mentioned more than any ather solution. Also I have found gpedit.msc but unfortunatly I have 7 Home Premium which doesnt have that snap in add on.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Hi,

What's the manufacturer of your NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti graphics card? Also, are you sure that it has onboard audio, and not just audio out through HDMI - where the existing audio device (ASUS Xonar DX) does the audio processing?

In any case, it should be fine to have all the relevant drivers installed for your graphics card. As long as your audio settings are set so that your ASUS Xonar DX is the primary playback and recording audio device, you shouldn't have any problems.

Thanks for the reply,

Its a Gigabyte card and yes its audio through the HDMI which Im using DVI to HDMI cable, so Im not using the audio from the card what so ever. Right now I have the High Definition Audio Device disabled in Device Manager so there are no conflicts between the drivers. I just really dont want them in Device Manager at all. But if I unistall them, the next time I reboot it automatically loads them back in.

There is no way to prevent Windows from installing the drivers. It has detected a device that is not listed in the Device Manager. It is going to install the drivers. This is how it is supposed to work. If not anytime you plugged in any device, be a camera, USB Thumb Drive, phone or anything the system would not install the drivers for you to use it and then you would be upset that Windows didnt do this.

Your only option is to let Windows install the drivers, then go into the Device Manager and disable that specific device. That way it stops Windows from loading those drivers upon reboot, and it stops it from reinstalling the drivers upon reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom