Windows 7 On an Athlon X2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirkpitt45

Daemon Poster
Friend of mine bought a pc from a friend of a friend a while ago. It was cheap and pretty good a couple years ago I guess. But he bought another 2 gb of ram for a grand total of 4gb. Only has 32bit xp installed though; and I've got a couple copies of windows 7 RC laying around sooo.

He's got an Athlon 64 x2 3600+ , and a 9500gt. Just want to make sure it'll run windows 7, instead of us wasting an afternoon installing and reinstalling xp.

Also does win7 wipe the HDD when you install it? We've got spare hard drives so thats not a problem to transfer data, just wondering.

You don't have to wipe out your drive, but it'll ask you if you want to.

And of course an Athlon X2 can run Win7. ;)

What I thought :p He just doesn't trust me enough. So you can install around Data? Like you'd have to reinstall programs and what not but the files would still be there?

Yep..

I believe it makes a Windows.old or something like that (for the old stuff related to the older OS).

I'm running it on a s939 X2 4200+ and Mak was running it on an old Pentium.

That setup should do an excellent job of running 7. I have been running the RC on a Athlon x2 4600+ and 2gb of ram since it was released and am extremely happy with the performance.

yep i am running win7 on a core solo laptop at 1.6GHz with intel integrated graphics and 1GB of ram and it runs aero just fine. pretty smooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom