Windows 7 Activation

Status
Not open for further replies.

blasterfreak88

Baseband Member
I am currently running a system on windows 7 ultimate and I would like to upgrade the motherboard and ram so that I have ddr3 ram will this cause issues when I restart the system with the new mother board if I reuse all of the other components including hhd and cpu and gpu

Yes you will have to reinstall the OS. At that point you will be required to enter your product key which won't work. You are only allowed one machine install per the license agreement. That product key is technically tied to your motherboard. So while the 'computer' is the same, in microsofts eyes it isn't and you will be required to get a new key.

hmmm, you know I swapped out a mobo and a cpu about a month or two ago and was able to use the same product key. I must of got lucky, but I do remember it gave me **** to activate it. I had to call through the **** phone to activate it lol.

That's what you'll have to do this time - but technically speaking the license key is tied to the motherboard.

As for swapping out motherboards, i was able to do the same thing and not reinstall. If you purchase a motherboard that uses the same drivers and is by the same manufacturer you USUALLY do not have to reinstall the OS because the original drivers that are already on the XP hardware profile work. So if you get a motherboard that is close enough to your original it won't require a reinstall.

Bink.nu | New motherboard, new Microsoft Windows license? - Bink.nu

“An upgrade of the motherboard is considered to result in a “new personal computer” to which Microsoft® OEM operating system software cannot be transferred from another computer. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created and the license of new operating system software is required.”

Will this be true if I have the retail copy of windows 7 ultimate instead of the OEM copy like was mentioned above because I have changed CPU several times and never had any issues with activation.

"is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect."

read between the lines. to me that said the it will use the same key if there is a defect.

How do I transfer the retail because i am selling the old motherboard the day i get my new one
You will have to make sure that the hard drive is formatted before you get the new machine and install Win7 again.
"is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect."

read between the lines. to me that said the it will use the same key if there is a defect.
The thing is, major defects are released to the public. So trying to just claim that it is a defect without there being any knowledge or proof, like a letter or something from the manufacturer, will not get activated again.

But this is all speaking technically. If you ever call the number and talk to "Bernard" in India you will know the truth. But keeping with the rules of the site and the legal aspect of the EULA we must state the technical aspect. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom