Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brids17

Baseband Member
So, I bought computer parts and because I couldn't get it together myself, I got someone else to do it for me. While I was there, I asked if he could install windows 7 to it for me and he said he could. Ok, great. So I've had the computer for about two weeks and everything has been cool but today I got a pop up saying I may not be running a genuine version of windows 7. So far, it's removed my background and notifies me of this every time I restart. It also says it wont update.

So I have two questions I need answered here. One, if he installed a pirated copy of windows 7 on my computer, am I at risk of getting into some kind of trouble? And two, is there any serious harm if I just ignore the problem? It says my computer may be at risk for viruses but I disabled windows defender anyway because it was interfering with my antivirus, so I don't know how much more protection the updates could offer. I really can't afford $250 for windows 7 and because I didn't get a receipt from him, it's not like I can really do anything about it because I can't prove he ever had anything to do with me.

Just talk to the guy. I'm sure he can resolve this. Might have loaded a retail copy on 2 computers. We do not know and can not start to answer your question. You need to talk straight to him.

If it is pirated, you are not responsible, he is. You did not put the OS on the computer.

If you ignore the genuine certificate, you are more likely to get attacked. I'd get this fixed pronto.

Well, it offered to verify it to see if it was a genuine copy but I didn't want to do it since I was unsure that if I did I may get into some kind of trouble. So I tried it and it said that I may be a vitim of counterfeit software and ran some kind of scan, which then told me: "Files that Windows needs to work properly have been modified, removed, or disabled..". So apparently I need to purchase a genuine copy. However I don't have the money for it right now and probably wont for at least a month. How serious is this?

A red flag should have popped up when he said he'd install windows 7 for free...

osi

It may be that the number was put in wrong try looking at what number was put in and see if it maches the one one ur iso on the bottom or side of the computer

It also says it wont update.

Yes this is true. It wont update leaving your PC open to all the vulnerabilities out there. This is not a good this at all.

So I have two questions I need answered here. One, if he installed a pirated copy of windows 7 on my computer, am I at risk of getting into some kind of trouble?

Possibly. We are not Microsoft. We cant answer this question.

And two, is there any serious harm if I just ignore the problem? It says my computer may be at risk for viruses but I disabled windows defender anyway because it was interfering with my antivirus, so I don't know how much more protection the updates could offer. I really can't afford $250 for windows 7 and because I didn't get a receipt from him, it's not like I can really do anything about it because I can't prove he ever had anything to do with me.

Yes there is. Your system will lock down and not be able to be used to the fullest potential. You are open to any and all attacks on the internet. There is no reason to turn off Defender since it is an anti-spyware program not an anti-virus. No reason any anti-virus should turn it off or conflict with it. This is just showing how things can go wrong with a pirated version or not genuine version of Windows.

If you cant afford the money to buy a new copy of Windows, use Linux till you can. Unless you trust the internet enough to put your security at risk with everything you do online.

Not necessarily. You could put that sticker on a piece of paper and put it on a bookshelf. MS won't come to your house to make sure the sticker is on.

I never put the sticker on my case. OEM nor retail. I just put it in a secure, safe place. We do not yet know if this is OEM, retail, or pirated.

Not necessarily. You could put that sticker on a piece of paper and put it on a bookshelf. MS won't come to your house to make sure the sticker is on.

I never put the sticker on my case. OEM nor retail. I just put it in a secure, safe place. We do not yet know if this is OEM, retail, or pirated.

Yes necessarily. The oem system builder license is explicit.

I'm sure that this system builder didn't put a retail copy of win7 on there free and take the coa an put it on his shelf.

If you build your own and buy an oem version of a microsoft os and put the coa on a bookshelf, you are doing it wrong.

But maybe he just forgot to put in the Code during install, there are many possibilities that we cannot know for sure without more information about the guy from Brids17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom