Windows 7.....and 8? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2013, 02:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Minecraft Veteran

Default Windows 7.....and 8?

Hello everyone!

So recently I switched my laptop's OS to windows 7, and I gotta say I love it. However, I have heard a lot of good things about windows 8, and I have the chance to try it. And I decided to do so. >< Ill be honest, I am not a huge fan of 8 based on what I've heard. But, I want to actually use it so at least hands on experience backs my opinion, whatever it may be. In a nutshell, I've decided to dual boot windows 7 and windows 8 on my laptop, and see where it goes.

But none of that really pertains to my question. I would like to know your opinions on windows 8! What do you think of it and why?

Old 05-20-2013, 06:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to xerolen Send a message via MSN to xerolen Send a message via Yahoo to xerolen
Default Re: Windows 7.....and 8?

Windows 8 in my opinion should have stayed as just a tablet OS. As a desktop interface it is only good with some sort of touch screen interface. Personally I find the whole "Metro" system to be a pain. It does help with battery life. My laptop went from 2 hours of battery life to nearly 3.5 hours. But it doesn't feel like it uses system resources properly in my opinion as I have way more hang-up in 8 than 7.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

We already have about 8 topics on this matter.

The simple fact is everyone is missing the whole entire point of what Windows 8 truly is. A unified experience.

Pick up a Windows 8 laptop you will get the same experience as a Surface Tablet which is the same as the Windows 8 phone. No learning curve and all the same apps used on each. To make it better, 1 login for all. You Microsoft account.

The thing that gets me is people slam Microsoft for thinking into the future to do this but yet they are praising the Firefox Phone and Ubuntu Phone. Guess what these phones are doing? Providing a unified OS amongst all devices!

Microsoft does it first, they get slammed. Ubuntu and Firefox follow suit and they are praised. Talk about people not understanding technology.

The hang ups mentioned by xerolen, is cause the companies have yet to release anything proper for Windows 8. People seem to forget, Microsoft is not in charge of drivers or programs being compatible. So if there is an issue with either, right away they blast the OS when it isn't the OS's fault. Go after the people who are supposed to be doing it in the first place.

Either way it is all idiotic cause once 8.1 hits beta, all of the complaints will go away. The Start Button will be back, for what reason who knows as it is useless. As will a sudo start menu. Making everyone who has a gripe about the "missing features" which are a step back in time instead of forward, will all be back. So Windows 8 will then be accepted by the masses and supported by the developer's and hardware manufacturers.

I have used it since the Beta stages and have not looked back. I have not installed any previous versions of Windows other than 8 cause Microsoft is not going to look back, they are going to use this as a step forward. Once people realize the real potential in what a unified interface can do, they will start to accept Win8 for the wonderful work that it is. Something that Android nor Apple can give, 1 look for every device in your life.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

KSoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to xerolen Send a message via MSN to xerolen Send a message via Yahoo to xerolen

When does 8.1 release? Also will it be a free upgrade or will you need to pay?
Old 05-20-2013, 08:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerolen View Post
When does 8.1 release? Also will it be a free upgrade or will you need to pay?
Windows Blue gets official name: Windows 8.1

Quotes from the article:

Quote:

The new software, which Microsoft also wrote about on its Windows blog, will be available for download for free for existing Windows 8 users later this year.
Quote:

As for the timing for the general release of Windows 8.1, Reller said it will arrive before the winter holidays.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

I agree with Mak, I've been using 8 since the preview. It took some getting used to but after I have adapted to way the flow in 8 works I found that is a night and day difference in terms of easy of use and efficiency. I can located a seldom used app in a fraction of time as it did on win 7. also I prefer a non touch screen with windows 8, I have a surface, love it, but I do still prefer my notebook without a touch screen. My advice, at least try windows 8 as you main os for two week and then make your own opinions. You may not like it, but I bet you will like it.