Windows 64 Bit Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

yakir_sudry

Baseband Member
I have A 64 bit CPU (the computer in my signature)
I thought about installing windows 64 bit edition.
I've heard that it's good and that I ony have to make sure before I'm doing it that I can get A 64 bit drivers for all my hardware.
is it true?
will windows 64 bit effect my computer a lot or I barely gone a see that?
what are the advantages of it?
do you recommend?

I have seen a ton of posts about this, and it the same answer each time, Wait. Not all hardware manufactures are going to support XP64 at least not right now, so yes there is a good chance that you won't be able to use some of your hardware. Why would you need to install the 64bit version of windows is the next question you need to ask. Basically it's no different from 32bit with the exception that it DOES NOT include the 16bit sub system, meaning anything written for Win 3.1 will NOT RUN this includes setup programs that are written in 16bit that install 32bit applications. Also by installing XP64 you give up your license for the 32bit version.

Wait for Vista.

-GrayWolf

to upgrade or not...software support

I'm in the process of upgrading my mobo and cpu. I just purchased an AMD socket 754 mobo and AMD Athlon 64 2800+ newcastle, nothing too cutting edge. I'm not a huge gamer and don't need a gaming build (using ATI radeon 9500 128MB). I'm considering upgrading to Windows 64 mainly because I need to buy a new OS soon and figured as long as i'm buying I might as well upgrade to Win 64 (same price as XP pro on newegg). Most of the hardware and software i use are supported according to this site:
http://www.3dvelocity.com/articles/win64compatibility/win64softlist.htm

Should I upgrade to 64 in anticipation of future hardware/software win64 support? Or just get win xp pro, avoiding any potential future headache with Windows 64? GrayWolf mentioned waiting for Vista instead of going with Windows 64. How long a wait will that be and will I miss anything important by passing on Windows 64?

Linux would be ideal...:)

Or try to stick it out for another year (lol), if you must stick with windows, for Vista.

I doubt there will be any decent advantages to the 64 bit CPU any time soon, but...do what feels right!

Xula said:
Linux would be ideal...:)

Or try to stick it out for another year (lol), if you must stick with windows, for Vista.

I doubt there will be any decent advantages to the 64 bit CPU any time soon, but...do what feels right!

linux own the 64 bit market. they have been taking advantage of the technology for 2-3 years.

windows will catch up someday

64 bit is great and I recommend it to anyone who wants performance even though most programs cannot take advantage of the multi threading yet. But before you make the switch make sure your hardware have 64 bit drivers that work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom