Windows 32bit and 64bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterhuang913

Retired.
Hey guys,
I've been using Windows XP Home 32bit for a few years now. Recently, I stumbled upon the 64bit version and the Intel x86-64 architecture. I did some more research and found that my Pentium 4 HT 630 processor supports EM64T or 64 bit architecture. Would it be wise and better to switch to the 64 bit operating system or stick with the 32 bit one? Also I've been itching to ask this for a long time: Whats the difference btw. Windows XP Home and Professional? Thank guys in advance for all your help.

Stick with the 32 bit version, because the number one issue with the 64 bit, is drivers. It has a lack of compatibility with them.

And here are the differences between the Home and Pro edition, from Wikipedia:
Windows XP Professional offers a number of features unavailable in the Home Edition, including:

* Able to become part of a Windows Server domain — a group of computers that are remotely managed by one or more central servers (many businesses that use Windows have a Windows Server and a domain)
* Sophisticated access control scheme that allows specific permissions on files to be granted to specific users under normal circumstances. However, users can use tools other than Windows Explorer (like cacls or File Manager), or restart to Safe Mode to modify access control lists.
* Remote Desktop server, which allows a PC be operated by another Windows XP user over a local area network or the Internet
* Offline Files and Folders, which allow the PC to automatically store a copy of files from another networked computer and work with them while disconnected from the network
* Encrypting File System, which encrypts files stored on the computer's hard drive so they cannot be read by another user, even with physical access to the storage medium
* Centralized administration features, including Group Policies, Automatic Software Installation and Maintenance, Roaming User Profiles, and Remote Installation Service (RIS)
* Internet Information Services (IIS), which is Microsoft's HTTP and FTP Server.
* Support for two physical central processing units (CPU). The number of CPU cores and Hyper-threading capabilities on modern CPUs are considered to be part of a single physical processor, therefore multicore CPUs will work fine under XP Home Edition.[4][5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom