Windows 2k vs. XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorldIndustries

Daemon Poster
Are there any REAL disadvantages of using 2000 instead of XP?

I've heard that 2000 would be slower than XP, but I don't understand that. I just want a light OS that doesn't look sh**.

i like xp because it has more built in features such as zip compression, cd burning, faxing, vpn server, easy wireless network config, thumbnail view

I know about the look. But XP has more hidden processes running that cause insecurities and stuff. Not to mention it uses more RAM. Has more complicated settings.

But does anyone know if it's true that XP will run faster on a semi-modern computer than 2000?

My friend recently upgraded from 2000 to xp overall he said the desktop seems to run a bit more smoothly.

basically XP has a newer type of technology, so therefore it is faster...

Does 2000 have a NTFS file system, i forgot.
If it uses FAT32. .... that would make the difference

2000 supports NTFS. It will run faster on an older computer and needs less RAM to run smooth. If you dont need all the multimedia stuff and want just a basic OS for work then 2000 should be just fine. Its very stable, or at least has been for me.

i have been running 2K for years now.

i have absolutely no plans of upgrading to xp unless i am flat out forced to.

i use it on 4 very very different computers and performance is always there.

my box down below has had xp pro on it before for about 2 months when i couldn't find my 2k cd and the only difference i seen was xp had the better start up.
i play games, surf the web, run many different appz....it's never let me down.

i do run pro on my laptop however, simply because the driver support was poor from my manufacturer and they woudn't give me tech support since....it didn't come w/ 2k.....*******s i say..but.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom