Windows 2k bad cd

Status
Not open for further replies.

slick4788

Solid State Member
Hey guys, haven't been here for awhile. You guys are always great. So I was reformatting a comp with win2k pro and it was copying files like it always does in the installation. Now the cd was pretty scratched up, so 2 files couldn't get through:( . One of them was atapi.sys and the other one I can't remember, it was at 99%.

So, if I just get a hold of those files from another comp, and put it in windows/system32 folder from a disk, would that do any good? Or where does the win2k put them in?

slick4788 said:
Hey guys, haven't been here for awhile. You guys are always great. So I was reformatting a comp with win2k pro and it was copying files like it always does in the installation. Now the cd was pretty scratched up, so 2 files couldn't get through:( . One of them was atapi.sys and the other one I can't remember, it was at 99%.

So, if I just get a hold of those files from another comp, and put it in windows/system32 folder from a disk, would that do any good? Or where does the win2k put them in?

try cleaning you cd with lots of toothpaste and water. going in a circular motion.do this 2 or three times. then rinse and dry.

Wtf? Does toothpaste actually work? I heard some people say using toothpaste to clean cds and thought this was a joke. Is this logical?

slick4788,

So, if I just get a hold of those files from another comp, and put it in windows/system32 folder from a disk, would that do any good?

What happens when you start now? Do you get windows? or the computer wont boot up?.
I dont think copying and pasting files will work. Iam not sure. Better try it out.

codes:)

Pavlyk said:
Wtf? Does toothpaste actually work? I heard some people say using toothpaste to clean cds and thought this was a joke. Is this logical?

toothpaste is a polish

copying and pasting files wont work as they need to be registered with the platform to be identified as installed. if they were .inf or .ini files or .exe files then sure, it makes the process easier, but if you start talking about .vxd's or other system files then it's almost impossible unless you know how to carefully manipulate the registry into thinking they have been registered during the install process.

there are books on the win2k pro registry settings/tweaking, advanced and otherwise, available in pdf format .. google.com springs to mind ...

i use tooth paste all the time, i use either the gel or the sparkly gel...that works the best, i always used the blue too, the crest kids is wat i used to use and i found some sensitive stuff where one type of toothpaste came out one side of the nozzle and another came out the other and i took the stuff out of the gel side and used that, my friend said she used peanut butter once which makes no sense but she said it worked, my other friend tried windex but thats runny...doesnt seem like it would work for scratches, i also heard chapstick..i would try it but toothpaste works fine for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom