Windows 2003 Server & Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grendiazer

Solid State Member
Hello everyone,

Firstly, greetings to all. This is my first post in this forum.

My question is this; I have a dual operating system on my PC, where am running both Windows XP and Windows 2003 Server (One of the great advantages of being a university student is you get these softwares free/or at very low cost through student licenses which the university pays for!!).
Well, anyway I have got norton internet security 2005 installed on my XP operating system, but I couldn't install it on windows 2003 because it complains that it is not suitable for a server operating system but rather it is designed just for a workstation operating system.

I am told the same goes for Mcafee internet security and a friend said that is possibly also the case with ZoneLabs Zone Alarm security software.

Could anyone please enlighten me as to what full internet security software systems I can get that will be compatible with Windows 2003 server. I don't want to buy a security software only to find out after trying that it is not compatible with win 2k3 server.

(By the way, I hope I have made my post in the right place/category. If not, and I am supposed to make this post in the virus/protection category then please accept my apologies)
Thank you in advance

Server 2003 should not require such an software if you are carefull it is generally the most secure product out there.

Tyler1989 said:
Server 2003 should not require such an software if you are carefull it is generally the most secure product out there.

id have to disagree with this.

Grendiazer,

my question to you is, why would you run a server on top of xp? if this has something to do with learning the software or something, I suggest you just put XP on your system and buy Virtual PC, and test and learn using that. W2K server is NOT the most secure OS out there, and frankly, there's no such thing. if you were to ask me though, I would have to save unix was.

thats not what this topic is about though, I think you should do what I stated above and if you were to go with any firewall of some sort, I would either setup a NAT, or if you want to go "software", I would use zonealarm, because Norton takes up way too much memory consumption.

Thank you for the prompt replies.

drewrockshard, in regards to your post, you are not the first to ask why I run server 2003 on top of win xp....:) I have had that question a few times before. The reason really is that I like the idea of having a dual operating system on my PC, so that if one system goes down or has some sort of problem then I can still use the other one and hence can still use my PC.

Also, I am using server 2003 because it is much faster than XP as it doesn't seem to use as much memory and resources; also it rarely ever crashes unlike XP.

Talking about "lower-rate-crashing" systems if I may call it that way one would question (as you did) why am I not using Unix/Linux since they are very powerful and rarely ever crash especially when compared to any windows system....Well the reason is that it has been about 6 years since I was using Unix/Linux regularly...Since then I've forgotten a lot of the commands and sort of lost touch with these OS's. It will probably take me a long time to get used to them again.

As to your final point about NIS, yes I completely agree with you....It is too heavy a software and takes up way too much resources. The only reason I am still keeping it is that I have a few months left of my subscription which will go to waste if I removed NIS from my system now. Once the year subscription is up, then I won't renew, and will probably go back to ZA (Which I used before) or better try to go for seperate firewall/antivirus systems, like Outpost Pro Firewall/KAV Personal anti-virus.

For the time being, I may try to install the free version of ZA on my win 2k3 server and if this works then I'll upgrade it to the pro version. If it doesn't support server operating systems, then I'll have to continue my search for one that does!!

In addition to that question,
I am new to active directory and windows 2003 all together and I need help I have set up the switch, both computers hooked up, set the computer and the user in and I am still getting that the domain is not there, I have a connection but I tried to ping the server to workstation, and visa versa and I am still getting the same message.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom