windows 2003 server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

808Alaska

In Runtime
Hey everone, im a little confused as to what exactly windows 2003 server is. is it an operating system that you can install straight to a hard drive or is it an upgrade for windows 2000? and also what is windows server 2008? is it an upgrade for windows server 2003? if anyone could clear this up for me i would really appreciate it, thank you.

It is a server OS. You can connect to that server or use it to connect to other servers in a network. It can be used to do things like allow printing access, file sharing, interfacing with MSExchange (mail) servers, etc.

You can upgrade from Windows NT 4, or Windows 2000. It usually is set up with Active Directory (can be added after installation), which is a networking feature to allow servers and clients to belong to a domain, or forest (group of domains). It can interface with other non-Windows Server OSes as well, but there are some limitations and some configurations need to be completed for that to happen.

Windows 2008 is the latest version. Yes it is an upgrade to 2003.

ok cool. so what is the difference between windows xp, windows server 2008, windows server 2003, windows vista, and windows nt, and windows 2000? are they all just operating systems? can you have a windows server 2008 operating system on your hard drive?

Generally speaking any server OS is meant for a server or a server environment. The only reason for running a server OS on at home is if it is more stable (i've heard people running server 2003 b/c it has the same setup as vista but is much more stable).

There are way too many differences between all of the operating systems you've mentioned. You need to google them and read up yourself. Generally speaking from oldest to newest the order goes...
Windows NT
Windows 2000
Windows XP
Windows Server 2003
Windows Vista
Windows Server 2008

Again you don't need to be running server 2003 or server 2008 unless you are running in a domain environment which oldskool went over a lot.

You need to do some googling, the differences between one OS to another are numerous, and generally speaking you want to get the newest version (since the usual updates are things like security and functionality).

ok i know that theres a lot of differences between all of those operating systems, but let me see if i got this straight. Windows servers are operating systems but are mostly used in companies and schools etc. you can use them at home but wouldnt be the best possible choice. is that right?

and got another question, sorry so much questions, and thank you guys for answering them all! ok what is a server computer? or what are they used for?

It is not recommended to use a Server OS for a desktop install unless you KNOW what you are doing. Server OS's are setup completely different and require a lot of customization to get them working.

A server is the main man. To put it simple. Tech-Forums is hosted on a Web Server. It is a PC that is basically above and beyond anything that is used in a home for purpose to read and feed other PC's that connect to it.

There is also File Servers among various others. Your best bet. Hit up Wikipedia. They will give you all the technical jargon. But a Server is basically a monster PC that is used to feed websites, file storage and data transfer.

ok cool. so what is the difference between windows xp, windows server 2008, windows server 2003, windows vista, and windows nt, and windows 2000? are they all just operating systems? can you have a windows server 2008 operating system on your hard drive?

What you need to learn first is that there are 2 type of networks. Peer-To-Peer and Client-Server
I suggest you read the following
Peer-to-peer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In a nutshell, Peer to Peer Networking is 2 or more computer directly sharing files and resourses. THere is very little control or security on these networks.

Client-server - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In a nutshell, Client Server Network is when 1 computer connect to a 1 server computer. The server computer can control access to files and resourses.

NT Server, Server 2000, Server 2003, Server 2008 are server operating systems.

Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows Xp Pro, Windows Vista Business, Windows Ultimate are workstation operating systems that can connect and take full advantage of Windows Server environments.

Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows Xp Home, Windows Vista Home Basic/Premium are desktop operating system which are not ment to connect to servers. Not saying that it's impossible, however i have come accross some situation where i might not be able to take full advantage of the server. Pretty much windows Me onwards on that list do not long in a client server network.

Server Operating Systems are designed to take multiple requests from workstations.
Server operating systems helps centralised all your data in one location. I have seen too many Peer To Peer works where the data is all over the place.
Server Operating systems can roll out different tasks depending on the user you logs in. Where windows is just limited to Standard User and Administrator.
Eg. On a server, you can set it up so the boss as access to every one files. However the employees only has controll on their own files depending on which what department they work in.
Server Operating Systems be configured for a varity of needs.
Eg. File Server - Centralised location for you company data.
Mail Server - Eg, Microsoft Exchange. You can set up and manage an internal mailing system for your company.
Internet Gateway Server - Eg. Microsoft ISA Server. Monitor and control your companies internet access and well as providing a firewall.

Smaller company might only need one computer to do 1 of these all these taskes where larger servers might have a dedicated computer just to look after 1 task.

It is not recommended to use a Server OS for a desktop install unless you KNOW what you are doing. Server OS's are setup completely different and require a lot of customization to get them working.

Very true. Server operating systems are very unforgiving and should only be used if you 100% know what you are doing. One wrong move, and you are going to be reinstalling from scratch. And servers are much more complicated to set up properly.

However with that being said, if you have a spare computer lying around, give a server operating system a go. Like i am currently playing around with Server 2003

And some times your standard desktop applications might not want to work under server environments. But then again, server should never be used a desktop. Servers should just be left in a corner of your office and only touched with there is some thing that needs to be changed on the server. Every thing else should be done on your work station.

Yes if you have VM or something give it a shot. I ran Server 2008 for just under a year. It is a wonderful OS.

Yes if you have VM or something give it a shot. I ran Server 2008 for just under a year. It is a wonderful OS.
I am currently playing with Server 2003 so i can get used to it. My admin skills are a little rusty and right now most of the people I am dealing with are sticking with Server 2003 until Server 2008 has a little more time to mature

I will look at server 2008 later on this year.

Mak213, you would not happen to know if Server 2003 Standard R2 will take advantage of all 4 of my AMD Cores? reason why i ask this is that SBS Server 2003 R2 Premium did not want to do any thing the other 2 cores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom