Windows 2000 to windows xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

xepic

Beta member
Windows 2000 to windows xp how can i do this with no cd drive ? Q_Q its bugging me ive tried alot of things i have a usb i try installing wintoflash but couldnt run it cuz i have windows 2000 rofl plz help

I have not tried this with XP, though I am curious to try it now. But back in the days of Windows 98 you could dump all the files on to the hard drive. Boot into DOS and run the installer and your installation would start up. Give that a shot.

Actually KingX13 does have a valid point. You can drop the XP files onto the drive and install. But the way it has to be done will force you to lose everything. Basically the only way that method will work is if you format the drive, then copy the entire contents of the XP install media to the drive and then restart. This includes the autorun stuff that is hidden so that the XP install will run just like you were booting from the CD itself.

But with no Drive at all and no way to format the entire drive, then copy the files over. There is no way you can use this method. So while it can be done, it cant be done with the available resources. You will have to do what Paton said and either get the USB aspect working, which i doubt will, or get a new drive.

Now the reason i say that i doubt it will is cause if you have Win2000 on the machine now that means that the machine was built before they were able to be used to boot from USB. So your not going to have the resources available to do that method either. So you will have to get a new drive.

I understand mate. I am just saying that what was said can be done. I have done it myself before but i also had multiple drives in my machine and was able to format the drive i wanted to use. I also had the XP Media as well and could use it just wanted to test this method out for myself.

I just wanted to point out that while there is proof it can be done that way, it takes work and special circumstances to get it done that way. None of which can be met.

Sry mak... I was saying.... I'd go buy the dvd drive cause its not worth the headache that its gonna take to try and figure out how to get it running.

And thats what i did.... buy the drive.

Nothing to be sorry about. Your right. With the given information it will be more of a hassle to figure out how it can be done properly compared to just going out and buying a replacement drive. As i already stated, the machine sounds like it is too old to be able to boot from USB. If it came with Windows 2000 or was even upgraded to Win2000 then it will not have that option. Then to get the XP information on the drive with being able to format it is just going to be to difficult.

Also i will state that even if it is installed from the hard drive, trying to remember which files are used for the XP install after you have it installed so you can remove them and have a fresh copy running is also difficult. Since all the files will still be present after the install it will cause confusion. I had that issue after my experiment. I tried to remove the install files and ended up removing some files that were needed for the OS to operate and had to do the whole thing over again. I then had extra files on my hard drive cause even when trying to just go by what was on the disk and removing those files when comparing them to the files on my drive was still a difficult task. In the end I ended up formatting the drive and just going off the disk anyways cause it was far easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom