Windows 2000 setup trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

modus

Solid State Member
Hi... this is my first post/thread. Glad to be a part of the community.
Anyway, I'm having trouble installing Windows 2000 on this crappy PC. I'm getting an error message and I'm not sure what it means.

I made the 4 floppy setup disks for Win2000, put the first one in and boot up the system. Everything looks normal and the Windows 2000 seems like it's going to start up.
The computer says "Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration..."

Then I get the following error message:
---------------------------------------------------
Disk I/O Error: Status = 0000100C
NTDETECT Failed
---------------------------------------------------
From here the computer just sits idle on that error message.
Not sure what this is all about, but any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :confused:

Have you ever worked with this computer before? Cuz maby it have damaged hard disk.

Also try to boot directly from the windows CD, and not from the floppies.

No I've never worked on this PC before. It's an older e-machines (aka coffee mug warmer) and another tech at my work thought it could be the hard drive too.

Before all this I got the PC and I tried booting it up as if everything was normal. It seemed like Win2K was going to load up.. and then mysteriously it goes into a Windows 2000 setup program. Never could I get it to boot up, and the setup would crash before I could do anything.
I couldn't even boot to safe mode.

So then I decided to FDISK it. I deleted the partition. Set up a new one, and tried a Win2K installation. This is where I ran into this problem. Also I tried booting from the CD and it won't recognize the disc. I know the disc is a good bootable disc too, which I why I'm now trying it from floppy disk.

Thx

I work in Information Technology for a company, and in our department we actually run into this problem quite often. The only way that I know of how to fix this is to trick the computer, using the boot disk from a windows 98 machine, into starting into DOS. From thre you are going to have to input this command into the command line "format c:/s" without the quotes. This will erase the partition and re-format the HDD, but will leave display, disk drives, keyboards and other drivers needed to restart the Windows 2000 setup.

Ok awesome! So I can pretty much chalk all this up to being some HDD related issue.
Once I get home today, I will be sure to try using a 98 boot disk, and get the c drive formatted.
Perhaps that will resolve my issue.
I'll be sure to chime in again some time tomorrow and let you all know if that fixed my problem.
Thanks again,
Modus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom