windows 2000 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

nudewinter

Beta member
i'm setting up a network on windows 2000 server. i know that you can place a group policy on a group of users, as is done on my existing network (i.e. restrict changes to desktop, etc.). however, i have configured the GPO for a certain group of users, but the policy doesnt take effect when i log on to one of the users in the group. any suggestions would be extremely welcome.

Have you set the GPO to an OU? The reason why I ask is because the GPO is totally useless until you set it on an OU.

You could also try opening a command prompt and typing gpupdate

That will sometimes fix problems like the one you are having.

Sounds like it is just the one user in that group/OU. I would check the local PC and be sure it is waiting for the network before it logs on. XP/2000 sometimes log on with cached accounts so that it appears your computer starts quicker then the network catches up after it is logged on. This sometimes leaves out group policies, logon scripts etc..

Enable the tweak by running START>RUN>gpedit.msc then go to the Computer Configuration section then ADMINISTRATIVE TEMPLATES>SYSTEM>LOGON then enable the policy that says always wait for network at computer startup and logon.

I assume you already tried manually updating the policy on the trouble machine via START>RUN>GPUPDATE /FORCE ? If not give that a shot.

okay, so evidently i am as big an idiot as my boss swears i am. i tried both tactics but without success.

here's a more detailed description of my problem(s):

there is a store OU which contains two more OU's. These two OUs are designated Managers and Users. The Users OU is the one with the GPO. We have a generic user setup in the Users OU called EMPLOYEE. The GPO is set to restrict EMPLOYEE from right-clicking on the taskbar or changing any desktop settings, among a few other non-essential restrictions.

i have two actual problems. the first is that the GPO doesnt seem to be applied on the OU.

the second (of less importance) is that the desktop configuration for EMPLOYEE is evidently not getting stored on the server as i would prefer (so as to provide continuity on all workstations).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom